Message Boards Message Boards

Perform a Bootstrap Analysis with the following data set?

Hello everyone. I was trying to understand the Bootstrap Analysis, so I found this example made in R: Make a difference: the alternative for p-values. Then, I try to replicate the analysis using the Mathematica method described here: How to | Perform a Bootstrap Analysis. But I was unable to replicate the R results, I would like to know if I am doing something wrong.

In the R post they used a data set, that you can find here: Material related to the blog "Quantification - rather than identification - of differences: An alternative for p-values". First they plot the data set, I did the same: enter image description here .

But when I create the Bootstrap, the distribution look completely different: enter image description here even when I did the subtraction: enter image description here The analysis did not agree either. According to the post the confidence interval should be {27, 439}, but for the same condition I get {0.171788, 1.38594}. The other interval is {-350, 35}, but I get {0.335334, 1.95191}.

So I would like to know if I am doing something wrong in my analysis. Thank you very much.

I going to let the note book and the original data set

POSTED BY: Oscar Rodriguez

Hi Oscar, I also wanted to bootstrap data using Mathematica and to be confidant about my results. Once I was happy about the methodology, I was able to get good agreement with test results I had obtained using Excel. As a further test I tried replicating the results referenced in your post 'Make a difference: the alternative for p-values'. I managed to get good agreement with the Bootstrapped Medians, the differences between the Medians and the Confidence Intervals. As far as I can see, the reason for you not not getting agreement and for your charts looking very different is that instead of Bootstrapping the Medians you have Bootstrapped Skewness. Ronald Smith

POSTED BY: Ronald Smith
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract