Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
2 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Clear MMA memory activity and restart/re-evaluate a notebook?

Posted 5 years ago

I an a newbie. I often get into a situation with Mathematica where I just want to really clear all memory and history of the session and then restart and evaluate the notebook I'm working on. Currently, what I do is to click on Evaluation then quit kernel and choose local . I'm not entirely sure this is the best way to do what I want. (In Maple (horrors!) there's a restart option one can insert into the beginning. but it doesn't always work the way I expect. Anyway, is there a quick and dirty way to accomplish this: dump clear all Mathematica memory activity from the computer's RAM and all temporary files and then re-evaluate the notebook? Emphasis here is on quick i.e., very few clicks, perhaps one at most or perhaps there's a command like Maple's restart I could insert at the beginning of every notebook and by Notebook Evaluation it would automatically clean it all up right from the beginning?

POSTED BY: Kent Erickson
2 Replies

Hi Kent,

one way is to start a notebook (or wherever you need it) with the line

ClearAll["Global`*"]

or

Remove["Global`*"]

Regards -- Henrik

POSTED BY: Henrik Schachner

Hi Kent,

Or Quit[]

Quit[] will terminate the kernel. Do not enter it f you have any definitions you want to keep.

Regards,....Jos

POSTED BY: Jos Klaps
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract