Share this post:

PolarPlot the function $r=-2t$ with $t$ in $[0,2\pi]$:

Posted 5 years ago

Hello everyone, I tried to plot the function $r=-2t$ with $t$ in $[0,2\pi]$:

PolarPlot[-2 t, {t, 0, 2 Pi}, AxesLabel -> {x, y}]

enter image description here

When $t=\pi/4$, I have:

$$r=-\pi/2=-1.57$$

Through Get Coordinates, I saw the only point so that $r=-1.57$ is $("-"1.57, \,\, 3.9...)$. Why is the angle $3.9..=\pi+(\pi/4)$ different from $t=\pi/4$?

How can I get the above angle by using math formulas? I can't use the classic relationship $tan(t)=y/x$ because I don't know x and y (without looking the plot).

Thank you so much in advance.

POSTED BY: Gennaro Arguzzi
3 Replies

PolarPlot[r[t], {t, 0, 2 Pi}] is basically the same as ParametricPlot[r[t] {Cos[t], Sin[t]}, {t, 0, 2 Pi}]. When r[t]<0 the point is placed in the opposite direction as the one you would expect from the value of the angle t. Try this:

Manipulate[
 PolarPlot[-2 t, {t, 0, 2 Pi}, 
  Epilog -> {PointSize[Large], Point[-2 s*AngleVector[s]], 
    Arrow[{{0, 0}, Pi/2 AngleVector[s]}]}],
 {{s, Pi/4}, 0, 2 Pi}]
POSTED BY: Gianluca Gorni

Thank you for your code @GianlucaGorni, it's very useful.

POSTED BY: Gennaro Arguzzi

This is a duplicate from the site https://mathematica.stackexchange.com/questions/185957/interpretation-of-polarplot

I will postpone my answer. Here we have an example of incorrect use of the polar radius function r[t], which by definition must be positive or zero, $r\ge 0$. Mathematica offers a kind of solution for $r<0$ using the Euler formula $-1=e^{i\pi}$, and interpreting multiplication by $-1$ as a rotation of $\pi$. In this case, $\pi$ is added to the argument t. This is where the strange data comes from.

PolarPlot[{-2*t, 2*t} , {t, 0, Pi}, AxesLabel -> {x, y}, 
 PlotLegends -> "Expressions"]

fig1

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract