Message Boards Message Boards

GROUPS:

Automate converting an imported excel spreadsheet to a dataset?

Posted 4 months ago
|
4 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
|

I would like to import a large excel spreadsheet with many columns into Mathematica. The first row of the spreadsheet contains the column headings and the remaining rows contain the data. After importing I first separate the column headings and data into separate variables and would like to convert the data to a dataset. Here is an example of what I have tried.

These steps simulate of importing the spreadsheet and separating into columns and data

cols = {"col1", "col2", "col3", "col4", "col5"};
dat = RandomReal[{0, 1}, {10, 5}];

I now need to create an association to use to map the data to the columns but here is where I am having trouble. The best I am able to come up with is to generate

assoc = Table[cols[[k]] -> #[[k]], {k, 1, 5}]

This results in some error messages, but produces

{"col1" -> 1, "col2" -> #1[[2]], "col3" -> #1[[3]], "col4" -> #1[[4]],
  "col5" -> #1[[5]]}

which is nearly the result desired. I can then copy that result, paste it into a new cell, and edit that cell by hand, changing the first element of the list, applying an association function, and applying a function to get the desired function to apply to the data

assoc1 = Association[{"col1" -> #[[1]], "col2" -> #1[[2]], 
    "col3" -> #1[[3]], "col4" -> #1[[4]], "col5" -> #1[[5]]}] &
Map[assoc1,dat]

With this association I can then generate the dataset. Is there any way of generating this function without the necessity of the hand editing step?

4 Replies
Posted 4 months ago

Not sure if this is exactly what you are after, but you can Import Excel directly as a Dataset.

dataset = Import["~/Downloads/Times_Square_Hotels.xlsx", "Dataset",  HeaderLines -> 1]

enter image description here

Posted 4 months ago

Many thanks Rohit. I was not aware that you could import directly to a dataset. That solves my problem.

Is that capability documented anywhere? By the way, when I imported the file with your suggested command I got an error message stating

"Import::hdrs: The value 1 for the option "HeaderLines" is outside of the data range."

In spite of the error message the file apparently imported correctly.

To get help have a look in Mathematica help of XLSX.

A follow up question: I imported Excel file as Rohit suggested and wanted to use it in Classify function. I can import Excel file as "Data" or "Dataset". Each row contains data for each patient, as Rohit has shown for a table of customers. I have two Excel sheets each for Condition1 and Condition2, both with same 26 columns structure for about 85 patients.

My problem is that Classify[ Condition1->1, Condition2->2] uses each table as if this was one patient, so as if I have two patients for training and not 85.

I tried to use Partition function to force reading each row as one patient bit without success. Partition[ Condition1, 26] or Partition[ Condition1, {26,1}] gives me an error of wrong dimension, which I cannot correct. Do I have to read Excel file row after row, our there is a more clever way?

Posted 1 month ago

Marcin,

If condition1 is a Dataset then Normal[condition1] should be a list of 85 lists each of length 26. You want each of the 85 to be assigned the label 1. One way to do this is Thread[Normal[condition1] -> 1]]. Do the same for condition2 with label 2. Passing both results to Classify should work.

Rohit

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract