Message Boards Message Boards

Detect multi- computer monitors environment and display controls?

Is there a way that Mathematica is able to identify and ID multiple monitors attached to a desktop computer? And how can I do to have Mathematica output a graphic to a separate notebook to a specific ID monitor?

I have a special dynamic graphic created with Manipulate[]. I will like to have the graphic displayed in one monitor other that the primary monitor with the code displayed. Even more, I need the controls in the primary display monitor but the manipulated graphic display in the second monitor environment.

POSTED BY: Jose Calderon
4 Replies

Jose,

The short answer is yes. Here is an example that creates a window and moves it to a new monitor and lets me control it from the original Notebook. The key is to find the location of your second or third monitor. I did that by manually moving a window there and doing the following

testwindow = CreateWindow[];

move the window to the second monitor (you can also size it by setting that option as well) and do

myMargins = WindowMargins /. Options[testwindow, WindowMargins]
(* {{876, Automatic}, {Automatic, 242}} *)

copy the location and use it below. The notebook does the following:

Create a dynamic slider to control it

DynamicModule[{}, {Slider[Dynamic[x], {.1, 2}], Dynamic[x]}]

You can plot something on your main monitor:

DynamicModule[{}, Dynamic[Plot[Sin[x*t], {t, 0, 10}]]]

Now duplicate it in a new window and send it to the other monitor:

win = CreateWindow[
  DocumentNotebook[
   DynamicModule[{}, Dynamic[Plot[Sin[x*t], {t, 0, 10}]]]]]
SetOptions[win, 
 WindowMargins -> {{-1378, Automatic}, {Automatic, 41}}]

Now control both plots from your slider. You can obviously mix and match various controls and dynamic graphics.

Regards,

Neil

POSTED BY: Neil Singer

Jose,

I don't know if there are any better approaches but I would move a window to where you want it, size it, and use the option inspector to figure out the location of the window ( the pixel location will extend beyond your primary monitor)

This old article might also help: redirect-of-mathematica-graphics-output-to-another-computer-screen

Regards,

Neil

POSTED BY: Neil Singer

OK.. Thanks but it is possible to strip the control s of the manipulate command on a separate notebook? I want to control the manipulate variables from one moitor and project the resulting graphic on a separate notebook.

I am not sure you got my problem . I have two monitors attached to one computer . This computer uses 3 separate graphic cards. I need WM to output a new notebook within the second monitor. This new notebook will render the graphic produced by the code run from the first notebook found in the first monitor display.

JEC

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract