Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
2 Replies
|
4 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Understand what default initial conditions are used in DSolveValue?

Anonymous User
Anonymous User
Posted 5 years ago

I provide an example but am really asking (at end) for general tips of how to feed initial conditions to Mathematica best.

ex. A beam rests on walls at each end. m[] is the moment (forces) of weight/ft on a beam due to it's own weight, e i are constants, At one end the beam is held (ex in mortar) and this adds unknown moment M. (tennenbaum p.388, 13.)

Question: I have 5 initial conditions. I'm told I need to use 3 to find M. If I give some to Mathematic I can at best get rid of C[] but not M. If i delete all initial conditions and apply 3 by hand afterward, M is easy to find with no error messages.

(* y[0] == 0, y'[0] == 0, y'[L] == 0, y[2 L] == 0, y'[2 L] == 0 *)
m[x_] := (L w) x(*up F*) - (w x) (x/2)(*down F*);
DSolveValue[{e i y''[x] == m[x] + M, 
    y[0] == 0, y'[0] == 0, y[2 L] == 0}, y[x], x] (* no *)
    ... DSolve:  For some branches of the general solution, the given boundary \
    conditions lead to an empty solution.
yc=DSolveValue[{e i y''[x] == m[x] + M}, y[x], x]

By hand I can use yc with y[0]==0 to eliminate C1, then it's D with y'[0]==0 for C2, then y[2L]==0 finds M. I gather Mathematica runs into the error it mentions but not sure how to avoid it and I didn't run into it myself (though i didn't over-analyze the algebra).

It's not uncommon to have questions about using initial conditions in Mathematica. How do I best use Initial Conditions with Mathematica? What are the things to avoid and the things to provide it?

POSTED BY: Anonymous User
2 Replies

Some are actually boundary conditions. When you impose them the system becomes overdetermined. So instead solve using just the ICs, then impose the BCs to find out what can be determined about the parameters.

m[x_] := (L w) x(*up F*)- (w x) (x/2)
ode = {e i y''[x] == m[x] + M, y[0] == 0, y'[0] == 0}

soln = First[DSolve[ode, y[x], x]]
 (* Out[978]= {y[x] -> (12 M x^2 + 4 L w x^3 - w x^4)/(24 e i)} *)

Now for the BCs:

paramEqns = {D[y[x] /. soln, x] /. x -> L, 
  y[x] /. soln /. x -> 2*L, D[y[x] /. soln, x] /. x -> 2*L}

(* Out[976]= {(24 L M + 8 L^3 w)/(24 e i), (48 L^2 M + 16 L^4 w)/(
 24 e i), (48 L M + 16 L^3 w)/(24 e i)} *)

Solve[paramEqns == 0]

(* Out[977]= {{L -> 0}, {M -> -((L^2 w)/3)}} *)

Discarding the first as non-physical (or at least not of interest), we now have a necessary condition involving {M,L,w}.

POSTED BY: Daniel Lichtblau
Anonymous User
Anonymous User
Posted 5 years ago

I'm aware I could access DSolves open source code (3 libraries) found in Help advanced tutorial and know this "to a t".

I'm really asking for off the cuff quick tips by experienced users.

POSTED BY: Anonymous User
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract