Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
2 Replies
|
3 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Fix graphics from Demo "Isotope Browser" (no graphics output)

The Wolfram Demonstration “Isotope Browser” presumably was used for the beautiful white-on-black bitmap decay chains available at periodictable.com. Alas, having downloaded and run the Notebook IsotopeBrowser-author.nb (AND the .cdf document AND its author code) I find that no graphics (such as those at http://demonstrations.wolfram.com/IsotopeBrowser ) are produced. Instead, where I'd expect the graphic to be appears a boxed region with Show[LayeredGraphPlot... I include a screen grab: no code has been changed.

enter image description here

It appears plausible that something has changed since March 2011 (time stamp on the Demo); its author Dr. Yifan Hu is no longer at Wolfram. I'm using 11.3.0.0 on a Mac, but have the same problem with the latest Wolfram CDF Player app (which I hear is no longer supported anyway), and with 11.3.0.0 on Linux. I am trying to bust up the Manipulate loop into executable lumps and will attempt to identify the problem and post.

Can someone else confirm this problem? Any suggestions? Thanks!

POSTED BY: David Wood
2 Replies

I'm stunned by how quickly you identified and fixed the problem.
I urge you to submit your revisions to those who maintain the Wolfram Demos.

I cannot thank you enough!--DMW

POSTED BY: David Wood

It looks like there have been changes to a couple of the outputs from IsotopeData since this demonstration was written. First is that various properties like "DaughterNuclides" now return entities instead of strings,

Previously that would have returned {"Bismuth210", "Mercury206"}. So many of the auxilliary functions used in this demonstration are defined like DaughterNuclides[ name_String] := ... and just don't fire with the updated function.

The other issue I found is that properties like "HalfLife" that used to return just a number, now return Quantity objects. Use QuantityMagnitude where these properties are queried.

I tested the notebook I'm attaching in version 11.3 and it seems to work.

Attachments:
POSTED BY: Jason Biggs
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract