|
|
1 Reply
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Interview with someone who writes and uses Mathematica in sciences

I have just started my writing using Mathematica and am now taking a class in writing in science. I have been asked to interview someone, with a degree, about their writing. I thought, I would tie this project into Mathematica and ask here first.

How much writing do you do or do you come in contact with in your work? For how much of it do you use Mathematica?

How did you learn to write in a way appropriate to writing for a math or science field?

What is it like to work with these different styles of writing (science writing and scientific or technical writing) in math or science?

Are you aware of what is referred to as the IMRAD structure for scientific reports and how often have you written in this style yourself?

Are you aware of instances when scientists attempt to communicate to the general public about their research or about important research in their field?

Have you tried writing in this way yourself, and if so, how easy or difficult did you find it, or have you found it to be? Why or why not?

What topics are writers in your particular field most interested in right now?

Are there more general scientific topics that will be interesting to follow?

How much did your education help you to do what you are doing now?

What advice do you have for the student pursuing a degree in math?

POSTED BY: Marvin Ray Burns

BTW, I looked up a former physics teacher who gave me a good interview concerning her writing in the sciences. I got a good grade on my paper about the interview and in the class. Thank you all for your consideration! Perhaps I was a little to desperate to find an interviewee quickly when I tried to tie the project down to just Mathematica, but I have found Wolfram to be a "one stop shop" of sorts for my type of writing. (At least it keeps me from looking up several sources at once.)

POSTED BY: Marvin Ray Burns
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract