GROUPS:

Mathematica 12.0 on Linux issue with CUDA

Posted 8 days ago
|
7 Replies
|
4 Total Likes
|

I installed Mathematica 12.0 on Ubuntu Linux 18.10 and activated cuda paclet 12.0.287. This simple code:

Needs["CUDALink`"]
array = Table[i + j, {i, 1000}, {j, 1000}];
Timing[CUDADot[array, array]]

gives the error:

/usr/local/Wolfram/Mathematica/12.0/SystemFiles/Kernel/Binaries/Linux-x86-64/WolframKernel: symbol lookup error: /home/bert/.Mathematica/Paclets/Repository/CUDAResources-Lin64-12.0.287/LibraryResources/Linux-x86-64/libCUDALink_Double.so: undefined symbol: cublasCreate_v2

I have nVIDIA driver 418.56 supporting CUDA 10.1 (while the paclet is based on 10.0). I start Mathematica with following script:

export NVIDIA_DRIVER_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libnvidia-tls.so.418.56
export CUDA_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcuda.so
mathematica &

Am I missing something?

7 Replies

No, but the paclet is missing something (specifically, the libcublas library).

I think this is an oversight that probably happened because the installation location for this library changed as of CUDA Toolkit 10.1. It should be corrected soon.

For a workaround in the meantime, try placing a copy of libcublas.so.10.1 in $UserBasePacletsDirectory/Repository/CUDAResources-Lin64-12.0.287/CUDAToolkit/lib

Posted 7 days ago

I used:

CUDAResourcesInstall[Update -> True]

and now paclet 12.0.204 was downloaded at extremely low speed. As this is the same version as on http://www.wolfram.com/CUDA/CUDAResources.html I downloaded it from this webpage at much faster speed and installed with

CUDAResourcesInstall["/home/bert/Downloads/CUDAResources-Lin64-12.0.204.paclet"]

Now CUDA is working fine.

That is odd in its own right, because 12.0.204 is not even the latest version.

In any case, this is being fixed today.

CUDAResources-Lin64-12.0.303 is now available from the paclet server

Posted 7 days ago
CUDAResourcesInstall[Update -> True]

And how do I get 12.0.303? Currently downloading CUDAResources-Lin64-12.0.2046825891.paclet Again the 12.0.204 I guess?

You may have to update your paclet site indices manually

PacletSiteUpdate /@ PacletSites[];

(this also happens automatically every few days)

Once the indices are up to date, the result of the following command should contain the latest version

PacletFindRemote["CUDAResources"]
Posted 6 days ago

Thank you very much!! I now have paclet 12.0.303 based on CUDA 10.1 working fine with gcc 8.2.0 !!

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract