Message Boards Message Boards

Establish a i2c communication using DeviceRead and WL?

Posted 5 years ago

Hi, I can read in 10 bytes from a device object "enc" by DeviceRead(enc,10). The first two bytes represent an unsigned 16-bit integer, the next four a signed 32-bit integer and the rest are bytes.

Is there a function to read these integers directly instead of reading the bytes and then converting them to integers in Mathematica? Something like BinaryRead[stream, {"type1","type2",...}] works for streams.

Is there a function in Mathematica to convert 4 bytes to a signed integer? Thanks, Laszlo

POSTED BY: Laszlo Sturmann
4 Replies

Neil, Thanks again. I think I'm going the wrong way in my approach. Indeed //FullForm shows that I can't access the bytes from the FrontEnd. I can go around this in my application, Regards, Laszlo

I'm not an expert on the Pi version of Mathematica, but I would think that

dat = DeviceRead[81,10]

should work. You should not assign a variable to a Dynamic in Mathematica if you want to manipulate the bytes. To convince yourself of this do dat //FullForm and you will see that the internal representation is not what you would want.

Regards,

Neil

POSTED BY: Neil Singer

Hi Neil, Thanks for your comment. I'm using Mathematica built-in i2c driver to read the position of an encoder by a Raspberry Pi. I can see the numbers changing in the output of dat = Dynamic[DeviceRead[81,10]] (address 0x51, # of bytes=10 ) but I've yet to find a way to extract members of dat. I know that Dynamic[] makes dat visible in the FrontEnd and it is not a List but there must be a way to get to these members. Any thought? Laszlo

Laszlo,

DeviceRead and DeviceReadList take the same arguments as BinaryRead, however, the device driver needs to support the format you want.

DeviceRead[device,{param1,param,...}]

I do not know the particulars of the device driver you are using. The examples show "Real" and "Integer" as options but others may be supported.

You can convert a list of bytes to another format using the Binary reading functions (making sure you have the correct ByteOrdering):

str = StringToStream[StringJoin[FromCharacterCode[lst]]]
BinaryReadList[str, "Integer32", numberOfIntegers, ByteOrdering -> 1]

Regards,

Neil

POSTED BY: Neil Singer
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract