Message Boards Message Boards

What are the publishing options available for System Modeler?

I am simulating some models in System Modeler and looking for available publishing options. I have not found much in the available documentation except for exporting results to Mathematica. What am I missing? I did see the ability to print a PDF of an individual simulation results screen without annotation.

POSTED BY: Robert Rauck
7 Replies

Ankit, Thank you very much for your attention to this matter. I hope annotations can be added to the simulation center. It would be very helpful. The copy as image followed by a direct paste into Word works very well and I thank you for that. The System Modeler application has made great strides since its' introduction and it is currently a very powerful tool.

Hi Robert,

I have created a user story for having annotations in the simulation centre. As far as export to Microsoft office is concerned, you can right-click on a plot and select "Copy as Image" and paste it directly in word.

Regards, Ankit

POSTED BY: Ankit Naik

Your solution is the same as mine. I would like to see improvements made to System Modeler so that it could do its' own annotation. I would also like to see an option for an export to Microsoft Office for insertion in a report.

I was aware of those options (except for the export formats other than .png) where all but the simplest case requires an export to Mathematica. What I want is the ability to annotate within System Modeler and then an export to Microsoft Word where I can reach at least 100 times as large an audience with a Report. My request to Wolfram is that they add the ability to annotate Simulation Results within System Modeler. Then the second request is the ability to export to Microsoft Office including Word. I can do that now by using a Screen Grab and annotation using Adobe Acrobat Commenting (followed by embedding the picture in Word) but it is not an ideal way to do it.

Robert,

You have several options.

1. Within WSM you can do "Export..." -> Plot as image and choose png, bmp, or jpg and get the plot as seen on the screen. Some limited options on titles and styles are available if you right click on the plot and also from the Plot menu (such as plot themes).

2. If you want more control over the look of the plot and the quality of the plot you should go to Mathematica and do the following:

model = "StiffAxis1"
    ans = SystemModelSimulate[model];
    SystemModelPlot[ans, {"torque1.tau","inertia2.w"}]

You can add any of ListLinePlot options to the SystemModelPlot plus there are a few extra options you can find in the documentation.

What I posted assumes your model is at the top level (you can do something like this if it is inside a package model="mypackage.mymodels.StiffAxis1"). It also assumes you are using the simulation defaults (which you can change within SystemModelSimulate).

and Lastly,

3, Do Export->Plot as CSV save the data in a format that is readable by Excel or any other plotting program (such as Kaleidagraph).

Regards,

Neil

POSTED BY: Neil Singer

Here is an example of very minimal plot annotation accomplished with Adobe Acrobat (see attachment). The .png file (far better presentation than the direct print to .pdf) was converted to a .pdf with a screen capture tool and then annotated.

Attachments:

It is also possible to export, without annotation a simulation result as a .png file.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract