Message Boards Message Boards

Join two opposite edges of a 2D rectangular mesh?

Posted 5 years ago

I am trying to set up and solve a 2D Laplace differential equation for an electrostatic voltage using the finite element method. In the problem, I have many identical parts in a row along the x axis. Each rectangular part contains four electrodes: two half disks and two thin rectangles with different voltages on each electrode. I would like to find a solution for a representative part in the middle where I expect end effects to be negligible.

My scheme is to use periodic boundary conditions to match the end of the part with a smaller value of x to the larger x end of the part.

If I create the mesh all at once using DiscretizeRegion, the resulting mesh at the smaller x end does not match the mesh at the larger x end. I want to use a fine mesh while avoiding tediously making one end match the other triangle by triangle.

I note that the smaller x end seems to have all the vertices terminating on a single solid line, but this is not true of the larger x end.

If I run NDSolveValue ignoring this issue, I find much noise at the smaller x end and the solutions at the two ends fail to match.

So far I haven't found any method for doing this. Can anyone show me how?

POSTED BY: Robert Curl
2 Replies

Here is the requested example code.

Attachments:
POSTED BY: Robert Curl

Welcome to Wolfram Community! Please make sure you know the rules: https://wolfr.am/READ-1ST

Please post your code and / or attach the notebook with a minimal example pinpointing the issue.

The rules explain how to format your code properly. If you do not format code, it may become corrupted and useless to other members. Please EDIT your post and make sure code blocks start on a new paragraph and look framed and colored like this.

int = Integrate[1/(x^3 - 1), x];
Map[Framed, int, Infinity]

enter image description here

POSTED BY: Moderation Team
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract