Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
10 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Evaluate notebooks downloaded from the Wolfram library archive?

Posted 5 years ago

I have been unable to actually use any notebooks from the Wolfram archive library. They show the table of contents, but nothing happens when I try to evaluate either a single section or the whole notebook. Searching the internet and the Wolfram support pages has not turned up anything. Here is my latest attempt:

http://library.wolfram.com/infocenter/Books/9563/ 

I think that the content is in there because of the file size, but it may be encrypted. I have no trouble using notebooks downloaded from other sources.

POSTED BY: John Davis
10 Replies

Problem solved. It was my ignorance, nothing wrong with Windows or Wolfram software. The notebook cells were grouped. I was trying to open them with Shift-Enter. Instead I needed to select the cell or cells, then use the Cell->Grouping menu to open the selection.

Obviously, I am still a Mathematica newbie.

Or just double-click the group cell bracket on the right to open the group.

POSTED BY: Murray Eisenberg
Posted 5 years ago
$Version
(* 12.0.0 for Mac OS X x86 (64-bit) (April 7, 2019) *)

This is what I see when I open the notebook, then open the first cell group and evaluate a few cells. What happens when you open the first cell group and evaluate some cells?

enter image description here

In a text editor I see the following starting at line number 11850. I assume the "data bytes" you refer to starts at line number 11919. That is indeed compressed image data that is assigned to the symbol Peppers. On line 11916: RowBox[{"Peppers", "=",. On line 11901: " Determining the number of red pixels in an image. (Figure 18.2).". Do you see the same or different? enter image description here

POSTED BY: Rohit Namjoshi

Thank you!

Thanks to your information, I began looking around and found the problem: it was necessary to explicitly make the cell "Evaluatable".in the Cell Properties menu.

I don't know why that wasn't on by default, but I can do that from now on whenever I get notebooks from the archive. (Maybe there is a preference setting somewhere.)

I just downloaded that .nb and opened it in Mathematica 12.0 under macOS. No trouble at all evaluating input cells — no need to make cells Evaluatable.

Did you perhaps make some change to global settings in Mathematica itself?

That is what I thought, but I just now reviewed my Windows 10 Mathematica 12.0 File->Preferences dialog. I have also tried turning on/off dynamic updating. I also tried CDF and Mathematica 11.3 with a fresh download of the .nb file. Conclusion: no joy in Windows, mighty Wolfram has struck out!

By the way, I was trying out the notebook to see if I wanted to buy the book; I finally ordered a new copy of the first edition paperback from Amazon.

Thanks for your input

(There is an Evaluatable setting in the Global part of the Option Inspector, but it cannot be changed from False to True.).

Are you aware that there is actually a 2nd edition of the book? Presumably the freely-available, downloadable, Mathematica notebooks are coordinated with this 2nd edition rather than the original, 1st, edition.

[Ordering books from Amazon can be tricky, due to various formats and editions, including, sometimes cheap (and sometimes unauthorized) knock-offs.]

Yes, I was aware of that. There are notebooks in the Wolfram library for both editions. I chose the first edition because of the huge price difference. The added material in the second edition looked more advanced or specialized than I needed.

I am also slowly working my way through "Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos" by Steven Strogatz, trying to learn enough about Mathematica to reproduce the figures in his examples (and learning about phase portraits, bifurcations, etc.). There are examples online, but Lynch presents things in a way that fits my way of absorbing new techniques. (Strogatz' explains the subject matter really well for me, and I downloaded a free set of SciLab programs based on his book, but I wanted to do more with Mathematica.)

I am running version 12. I have a license for one workstation and one home. Both fail the same way and have been that way since I started with version 11.2.

I have no trouble download the .nb file onto a Windows 10 PC. The size on disk is three megabytes.

After opening with a raw text editor, I can see the Wolfram code that produces the table of contents, but most of the rest was data bytes like you would see in an encrypted or image file.

Posted 5 years ago

Hi John,

That page has a link to a notebook LynchDSAM2ed.nb. I did not have any problem evaluating it. What version of Mathematica are you running?

POSTED BY: Rohit Namjoshi
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract