Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
5 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Can W|A solve partial differential equations?

Posted 5 years ago

Hello, I know the topic sounds very generic, but I've got a specific case that seems to be problematic. I don't know if the issue lies in W|A not being able to solve the problem, or in me not understanding how to input the equations correctly.

I have a nonlinear PDE that I want to solve for ?. When I type: "solve f(x)??(x)/?x+?(x)(?f(x)/?x+?G/?)=-((?M^2)/?)BV*e^(-x)" it doesn't really give me any useful solution, but it seems to understand the syntax correctly.

I want to specify my f function and so I write: "solve f(x)??(x)/?x+?(x)(?f(x)/?x+?G/?)=-((?M^2)/?)BVe^(-x) where f(x)=A1+(A2+A3)e^(-2x)" or "solve f(x)??(x)/?x+?(x)(?f(x)/?x+?G/?)=-((?M^2)/?)BVe^(-x), f(x)=A1+(A2+A3)e^(-2x)" but now the site gives me no results at all, like it doesn't understand what has been written.

I have a Pro account, I purchased it precisely to get help with equations like this. Do I need to rewrite the problem in some way or is it impossible to compute using ths web app?

POSTED BY: Ewelina Ewelina
5 Replies

In the same way you can to find a solution to your 1st, more general equation (with appropriate abbreviations):

r = (a0 + 
Integrate[ u[t]/f[t]  Exp[Integrate[(A + D[f[tt], tt])/f[tt], {tt, c2, t}]], {t, c1, x}])
Exp[-Integrate[(D[f[tt], tt] + A)/f[tt], {tt, c2, x}]]

In[57]:= f[x] D[r, x] + r (D[f[x], x] + A) // FullSimplify

Out[57]= u[x]
POSTED BY: Hans Dolhaine

Hi Ewelina,

in the attached notebook I outline a step by step solution of your equation , but using lots of abbreviations.

Note the introduction of constants of integration c1, c2 and a0. These must be fixed by your initial-conditions.

I did NOT look at the resulting integrals, whether they could be solved and whether they yield the solutions given by DSolve (they should do), I leave this up to you.

Attachments:
POSTED BY: Hans Dolhaine

I really appreciate your help, I cannot thank you enough! I am grateful that you kindly took the time to walk me throught the problem, it's very comprehensive. I didn't ask for or expect this kind of help, so it's a really nice surprise. Have a good day :)

Posted 5 years ago

WolframAlpha doesn't appear to support user named functions. Uppercase variable names sometimes also cause problems. There is also a line length limit that sometimes requires a bit of skill in dividing a problem into parts or by solving problems one stage at a time. It does support a subset of Mathematica notation and at times this has let me solve problems that I couldn't otherwise find a way to explain to WolframAlpha

DSolve[(a1+(a2+a3)E^(-2x))?'[x]+?[x](D[a1+(a2+a3)E^(-2x),x]+? g/?)== -(? m^2/?)b v*E^-x ,?,x]

or

WA link

returns a complicated exact solution. You might be able to see something in that or might be able to simplify that.

POSTED BY: Bill Nelson

Thank you very much!

I've got to admit, I am disappointed in not receiving the option to look into the step-by-step process. In truth I was very much hoping for a hint on how to solve this specific equation, rather than a straightforward answer.

But still, thank you!

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract