Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
4 Replies
|
1 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Get step-by-step solution for the following equation?

Posted 5 years ago

Hi,

Why is it not possible to view step-by-step solution for the following equation:

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=e%5E(2x)-8e%5Ex%2B6x%2B10%3D0

POSTED BY: Eido Askayo
4 Replies

This equation doesn't have a closed form solution, wolfram is probably using a root finding algorithm (my money would be on Newton's method) to find a good approximation for the root.

POSTED BY: Jack Heimrath

Hi, I think that is because Wolfram Alpha is not really solving the equation but it is just plotting it and getting the most approximate value. You can see there that it shows enter image description here

In the plot, you can see that the x has a red point when the function is equal to zero: enter image description here

However, if you try to say that this equation is "y"... Alpha will have the step-by-step solution: https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=e%5E(2x)-8e%5Ex%2B6x%2B10+%3D+y

I hope that I could help you.

POSTED BY: Estevao Teixeira
Posted 5 years ago

@Estevao Teixeira Thank you for your reply.

Is it because of this type of equation? because for every other type of equation I tried, it seems that the step-by-step solution does works.

Additionally, the link you shared when using "y" instead of "f(x)" have a step-by-step solution with a 1 single step, which is not really helps to understand how to solve this kind of equation.

What I'm looking for is the process explanation of how did WolframAlpha reached the conclusion that the solution of this equation is y=0 and y=3.

POSTED BY: Eido Askayo

The solution x=0, y=3 is the only integer solution, not the only solution. If you think about it it should be quite easy to show why this is the only integer (and probably rational) solution.

POSTED BY: Jack Heimrath
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract