Message Boards Message Boards

Application "Math Helper" for programmers, based on the Wolfram Alpha API

Posted 5 years ago

Hi to all from Italy, I am writing an application based on the Wolfram Alpha API, and I am registered as a Wolfram Alpha application developer.

My "Math Helper" app. is registered in the Wolfram Alpha database the 03 August 2019 and the Wolfram organization has released for it the APP-ID GA4T4H-xxxxxxxx (changed the last part to xxxxxxxx because I do not know the rules of this thread about the APP-IDs)

The "Math Helper" app. helps to translate CSharp, VbNet, C++ and other programming languages equations, to math notation. Then to solve them for a different variable, and finally to restore the original notation and the original variable names used in the programming languages.

My app. demonstrates that it is possible to translate the programming language notation to the Wolfram Alfa math notation. And then to translate back the math notation to programming languages notation.

This is a very difficult and tedious translation for an human and a great help for a programmer (non-mathematician). I hope that in the future Wolfram Alpha versions, these functions will be included directly in the Wolfram Alpha engine.

If someone is interested to contribute to this development, this is the link of the last version: http://www.theremino.com/wp-content/uploads/files/Theremino_MathHelper_LastBuild.zip (in the ZIP you will find the Open Sources and the compiled app)

Being also a member of the Theremino System community (Open Source, No Profit, No patents and zero Advertisements), soon I will publish this app, as Open Source, on our site: https://www.theremino.com/en

POSTED BY: Livio Cicala
Posted 5 years ago

The "Math Helper" application does not require installation. You download the ZIP and, after extracting the files, it works immediately.

Here is a screenshot of the application that solved a simple equation and then restored the original "BorderSize" identifier. The Math Helper app. solving a simple equation.

The next image shows the version 2.9 with the options in the status bar. The equation in this example is similar to the equations that a programmer needs to solve, when plotting on the screen and then clicking with the mouse on the screen itself.
The Math Helper version 2.9

We used simple examples, but the application has also been tested with very complex equations, and the limit is only the Wolfram Alpha capability to solve them.

The next image shows the most complex equation that we were able to get back during the tests:

equation image from Wolfram Alpha site

For the curious mathematicians, here is the formula that generated the monster:

Solve for x y = a * x ^ 4 + b * x ^ 3 + c * x ^ 2

POSTED BY: Livio Cicala
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract