Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
4 Replies
|
2 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Minimize an expression under a certain condition?

Posted 5 years ago

Hey guys, I've been trying to minimize an expression under a certain condition and this is what I got. I don't know what it says or how to deal with it. Can someone help me out?

Attachment

Attachments:
POSTED BY: TomᚠHulla
4 Replies

Daniel, I think this is a case where the documentation is a bit hard to penetrate. Root is overloaded, and this type of Root uses Function objects, displayed with # and &, unfamiliar notation to many. The secrets are partly revealed in the Algebraic Numbers tutorial, the last one listed on the Root page. What somebody encountering an algebraic Root for the first time needs is the reassurance that these things are simply numbers that lack an exact representation in traditional math. It's hard to find this in the complexity of the documentation.

POSTED BY: John Doty

Fair enough, John. Though I'd feel more confident if the original question mentioned a documentation check that raised more questions than answers.

POSTED BY: Daniel Lichtblau

Did you check documentation? If so, please make the question more specific. As it stands, it is lpretty vague and thus ikely to be removed by the moderator team.

POSTED BY: Daniel Lichtblau

Root objects of this type are an exact representation of algebraic numbers. Think of them as a space age replacement for bronze age radicals. As Galois proved, only a subset of algebraic numbers can be represented using radicals. Every algebraic number can be represented by a Root.

Sometimes, Mathematica can turn these into (usually more complicated) radical expressions with ToRadicals. It can always find an numerical approximation to any reasonable number of digits with N.

POSTED BY: John Doty
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract