2 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

OpenCL with AMD & Nvidia

Posted 4 years ago

Hello all,

As others might know Mathematica used to support OpenCL on Nvidia and AMD hardware. Of course since they never updated the OpenCLLink AMD hardware is essentially unusable (unless it is 10 years old == using an "ati" opencl driver), unless you care to rewrite the OpenCLLinkl sources (which should not be necessary for a commercial product).

Anyway, I stumbled on a way to get Nvidia and AMD working. If you install both platforms (hardware + drivers) such that the Nvidia libOpenCL.so is found first, both systems can be used.

Thought this might be of interest to some.

Have fun,

Carsten

POSTED BY: Carsten Mueller
2 Replies
Posted 4 years ago

As of MacOS Catalina Apple has deprecated OpenCL, unless Wolfram comes up with a plan to use Metal compute shaders I don't see support getting much better.

I wrote much of the OpenCL framework while I worked at Apple, if there is any interest in using Metal compute shaders I suppose I could sit down and figure out a plug-in to make it work this fall after my summer sabbatical.

POSTED BY: Guy Madison
Posted 4 years ago

Hi Carsten,

I am currently using Amd Radeon VII Gpu with latest driver. When I type “OpenCLQ[]” in Mathematica 12.1, it returns False. I don’t understand that “ If you install both platforms (hardware + drivers) such that the Nvidia libOpenCL.so is found first, both systems can be used.” Can you explain clearly how to do that. Also, I found that the MacBook Pro with Radeon RX5600M can using OpenCL, the result of “OpenCLQ[]” is True.

Cheers, Rongjun

POSTED BY: Rongjun Huang
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract