Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
4 Replies
|
4 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Obtain missing digits in a derivative with W|A?

Posted 4 years ago

This must be a very simple problem for which I must be missing something so obvious I can't see it:

When I enter something like

first derivative of Gamma(x) at x=1

the display shows -Gamma = -0.577216, and then the digits are erased. How can I get them back?

POSTED BY: Bob Smith
4 Replies
Posted 4 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion. That works for second derivative, too, where when I click on the result W|A shows a page with gamma ^2 + ?^2/6. This page doesn't understand gamma as a constant, but does provide a link to interpret it as such. When I click on that W|A finally shows the numerical value.

However, for third derivatives the answer involves a polygamma function. When I click on that result, W|A displays a page with no option to interpret it in any more detail. Fortunately, one of the Alternate Forms when clicked on shows the numerical value.

That's such a long process just to see what W|A teases us with on the first page by showing the numerical value for a second and then erasing!

Again, I can't shake the belief that there must be a way to beg W|A to leave the digits visible on the first page. Vanishing digits is such an outlier in the realm of user interface, I struggle to understand its purpose.

BTW, thinking that this was W|A's subtle way of selling me the Pro version, I coughed up $65 only to find that the Pro version had the same behavior.

Does anyone else see the same behavior I'm describing of Vanishing Digits or is my system totally whacked?

Posted 4 years ago

Thanks for your quick response. However, I'm trying to solve a problem with Wolfram Alpha, not Mathematica.

Posted 4 years ago

Ah, In that case, click on the -? and then interpretation as mathematical constant. There may be a way to specify precision in the query, but I don't know how.

POSTED BY: Rohit Namjoshi
Posted 4 years ago

In Mathematica:

enter image description here

(* -EulerGamma *)

N[%, 20]
(* -0.57721566490153286061 *)

Or

D[Gamma[x], x] /. {x -> 1} // N[#, 20] &
(* -0.57721566490153286061 *)
POSTED BY: Rohit Namjoshi
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract