|
8 Replies
|
3 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Replacement rule function question/help

Posted 11 years ago
I'm building a model for breakthrough/adsorption.  I'm not well versed in the mathematica programming and learn best by reverse-engineering an existing code.  I learned most of my stuff from this demonstration.

My code has three major parts.  Everything uses a position and time dimension [z,t].

1)  An interation loop that makes a table (mytable) where the elements of the table are InterpolatingFunctions calculated and stored during the loop.

2)  The Adsorption isotherm equation.  This is set up as a "set delay" function, I think its called.  This function q[z_,t_] = K*c[z,t] is called up by part 3.

3)  The NDSolve section.  The main function is solving:
NDSolve[
D[c[z,t],t] = mass balance + D[q[z,t],t].
]

I'm attempting to incorporate the interpolation functions, where the table part is chosen based on a function of z.  Therefore part 2 becomes
q[z_,t_] = K*c[z,t] * mytable[[ F(z) ]][c[z,t]]

When I run this program I get an error where it says that F(z) is not a integer/part specification.  When I added this part to the code, I'd assumed that the value of z would be "brought in" by the delay mechanism in the same way that q is brought into the NDSolve.  It seems instead that z is not a number "yet" and causes the error.

So, my question is:  Is it possible to do this in the way I have it set up?  Perhaps I have a syntax error or something.  OR, if it is not possible with this rough lookup table method, how would I be able to incorporate a FindRoot function within NDSolve where the zeroes depend on the value of c[z,t]?  ALSO, is there a good demonstration code which has similar functionality?

I can't provide my code right now, but I may be able to provide a trimmed down and readable version if needed.

Thank you
POSTED BY: Greg Cmarik
8 Replies
Hi Greg,
I hope you find the answer to your question. I am on the same path, and I am kind of beginner with Mathematica. If you successfully run your program do you mind guide me on how to get it worked.
Thank you.
POSTED BY: Timur Islamoglu
About " func [ z ] and zpart [ z ] is turning into func and zpart", the editor sometimes does things to special characters.

To enter code in a post, start a new line, click the "Mathematica Code" spikey, and type or paste in the code.
POSTED BY: Bruce Miller
I think the additional Part::pspec message comes when NDSolve evaluates its first argument, where z is a symbol.
To prevent that, clear any previous definitions of q and define it as q[z_?NumericQ, t_] := ...
POSTED BY: Ilian Gachevski
Posted 11 years ago
Does

q[z_,t_] = stuff

differ from

q[z_,t_] := stuff

I thought the underscore did the same thing as :=, but I guess my reading of the documentation mislead me.

It does change my results, so that seems to have overcome my error.  Thanks! 

Of course, now I have new bugs to work out.
Try using SetDelayed (:=) instead of Set (=).
In[1]:= t = Range[5]; f[z_] := t[[Round[z]]]

In[2]:= f[1.8]

Out[2]= 2
POSTED BY: Ilian Gachevski
Posted 11 years ago
Thank you.  It doesn't seem to work as I still get the error as copied below.

Part::pspec: "Part specification 1+Round[1/5\ (55-27\ z)] is neither an integer nor a list of integers.  This is the same as before.

The way I changed my code is that I now have,

Do[
mytable[]=stuff;  "This builds a table of InterpolatingFunction <> which will later be used based on c[z,t] values";
]

zpart[z_]=Round[ func ]+1; "This produces an index from 1 to whatever as whole numbers";
q[z_,t_] = ( K*c[z,t] ) * ( mytable[[ zpart ]][c[z,t]] ); "This calculates uptake which is taken as a derivative in the NDSolve section below";

NDSolve[
D[c[z,t],t] = mass balance + D[q[z,t],t];
]

Thank you for your help

EDIT:
This is strange, the code I have up there is not publishing as I typed it.  func [ z ] and zpart [ z ] is turning into func and zpart within the double brackets.  I assume mathematica may be doing something similar, but I don't know what it is doing behind the scenes.

Question for you.  Should the zPart[z_] be inside the NDSolve section, or outside as it is now?
 F(z)  is interpreted as F*z, a multiplication.  If you meant function F with an argument z, that is F, with square brackets.

See
http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/tutorial/GettingUsedToMathematica.html
and
http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/tutorial/GettingStartedOverview.html
POSTED BY: Bruce Miller
Posted 11 years ago
Thanks, but that was more for show, not so much as it is in my code.  Actually, it is mytable[[ 1 + Round[ (z - zo) / L ] ]] where zo and L are constants.  It is simply meant to calculate an index for the "part assignment".  The problem is as the code passes that section of code q[z_,t_] = K*c[z,t] * mytable[[ 1 + Round[ (z - zo) / L ]][c[z,t]]  I get an error that the function which uses z is not an integer and can't be used in the "part assignment".
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract