Message Boards Message Boards

GROUPS:

Obtain the mean and variance of the below PDF?

Posted 3 months ago
|
6 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
|

I have tried in Wolfram Cloud to get the Mean value and Variance of this PDF :$$\int_{1}^{\infty } \frac{3 \zeta (3) \sqrt{10 \sqrt{2} \pi } \exp \left(-\frac{\pi \sqrt{2 \sigma } (z+\sigma )^2 \text{erf}\left(\frac{\mu (z-\sigma )^2}{\sqrt{\sqrt{2} \pi \sigma }}\right)}{\mu }\right)}{(2\pi^2 \log (\pi )) } \, d\sigma$$ and $\mu $ lie in $(0,1)$, But i didn't come up to get the Mean and Variance of that distribution.

Here is my Code for Mean and Variance .:

\[ScriptCapitalD] =
ProbabilityDistribution[ 
3*Zeta[3]/(Pi*Log[Pi])*Sqrt[10Sqrt [ 2]*Pi]/(2*Pi)*Exp[-Pi*Sqrt[2*\[Sigma]](z+\[Sigma])^2
* Erf[\[Mu](z-\[Sigma])^2/Sqrt[Sqrt[2]*Pi*\[Sigma]] ]/\[Mu]], {\[Sigma],-Infinity, Infinity}];
Variance[\[ScriptCapitalD]]

The Same Code For Mean :

\[ScriptCapitalD] =
ProbabilityDistribution[ 
3*Zeta[3]/(Pi*Log[Pi])*Sqrt[10Sqrt [ 2]*Pi]/(2*Pi)*Exp[-Pi*Sqrt[2*\[Sigma]](z+\[Sigma])^2
* Erf[\[Mu](z-\[Sigma])^2/Sqrt[Sqrt[2]*Pi*\[Sigma]] ]/\[Mu]], {\[Sigma],-Infinity, Infinity}];
Mean[\[ScriptCapitalD]]
6 Replies
Posted 3 months ago

Did you mean to integrate $\sigma$ from $-\infty$ as $\sigma$ shows up under a square root in your equation? That begs the question as to if this is a legitimate pdf. Also, does this mean you were able to determine the constant of integration in the question you posted at Mathematica StackExchange ?

Just an attempt , I think the constant i have added is work over range (-infinity , infinity)

@Jim Baldwin Thank you so much for your attentionn , it were a wrong typo the integrand is still over sigma from 1 to Infinity , Now it fixed

Posted 3 months ago

So you determined the constant of integration to make it a legitimate pdf? If so, please add that as answer to your question on Mathematica StackExchange. I'm curious as to how you determined that.

Posted 3 months ago

So you determined the constant of integration to make it a legitimate pdf? If so, please add that as answer to your question on Mathematica StackExchange. I'm curious as to how you determined that.

But I'm not convinced that you have a pdf that integrates to 1. Consider setting $z$ to 4.75 and $\mu$ to 4.

NIntegrate[PDF[\[ScriptCapitalD] /. {\[Mu] -> 4, z -> 4.75}, \[Sigma]], {\[Sigma], 1, 200}]
(* 0.128714 *)

Please clarify if you are interested in the random variable $\sigma$ or $z$ or a joint pdf for $\sigma$ and $z$.

But The value of $\mu$ are in $(0,1) $, I have set that in Stackexchange post

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract