Message Boards Message Boards

Double Buffering, what is the equivalent Wolfram Language term for this?

Posted 4 years ago

What is the equivalent of double buffering in Mathematica called? I have looked that term up and nothing seems to shake out? The Mathematica book Index matches it to outputs but I am not finding the equivalent word in the Mathematica 5 book. I am trying to re-create workspaces found in other languages. Also Is there a way to cause "Hello World" to persist for a time and than fade? Other languages have a sync command, but I'm not sure how to perform this in Mathematica11.3? I'm working with Monkey 2, DarkBAsic, AGPKit and Python. Trying to recreate the effect in each of the Languages. Mathematica is older than some of these and their terminology for things existed prior to the rise of MS dominance so the Reserved words are different.

POSTED BY: Leighton Cooper

Leighton,

I think the closest construct to double buffering is Parallel computing on multiple kernels. In fact, MMA already does double buffering -- computation is handled by a kernel and the front end which does the display and input/output is run on a separate kernel. You really could consider this "double buffering". Using the Parallel tools documented here you can control what gets done on each kernel and construct your simulation.

As to your second question. You can make a disappearing Hello World with:

PrintTemporary["Hello World"]; Pause[2];

You can even control the deletion of the temporary print programmatically with NotebookDelete -- see the examples in PrintTemporary and NotebookDelete. In fact, you can use the same concept to delete any cell in the Notebook. As to making text "fade" I suppose you should be able to change the opacity of a cell or a dynamic cell but I never tried it. There is an option for cells FontOpacity that you should be able to change. I hope this helps.

Regards,

Neil

POSTED BY: Neil Singer
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract