GROUPS:

Incorrect reduction

Posted 3 months ago
|
14 Replies
|
1 Total Likes
|

Is there an incorrect theorem embedded in wolfram alpha, or is this a bug? See image.

Any time I enter " (i (2 x^* - 1))/(2 (x^* - 1) x^* ) " it reduces to "i / x^* " I need to show an equivalence, but when this is on the right hand side of the equation, it reduces to this " i/x^* " nonsense. Any ideas? I see why it's doing it (order of operations), but it's wrong.

enter image description here

14 Replies
Posted 3 months ago

Here's an example...

Posted 3 months ago

Incorrect reduction

Common factors are cancelled (standard in rational function fields). Think of it as a removable singularity, one that, well, got removed.

Posted 3 months ago

(2 (5 - I 7) - 1) is not the same as 2 ((5 - I 7) - 1)

Posted 3 months ago

Daniel, you might want to look at this again. Look at my numerical example I provided. Then go ahead and enter the same calculation using just x instead of the complex conjugate of x. It won’t cancel in either of these, for the same reason it shouldn’t for the former. It’s inconsistent.

Ah, yes. Bad precedence. I filed a bug report for this.

Posted 3 months ago

Thanks, and here's a visual just in case.

Posted 3 months ago

And Gustavo is right'o! But not exactly as I entered it.

Posted 3 months ago

Okay, weird...just narrowed it down. In my first image I didn't include the equation as I entered it. It's a bug in how it's reading my input. Take a look at this image now, as it includes what I actually type.

Posted 3 months ago

The temporary work around is to put additional parenthesis around the 2 x^* in the numerator.

Posted 3 months ago

I am confused. What is x^* ?

Posted 3 months ago

X^* means complex conjugate of X.

Posted 3 months ago

I understand now.

X^* is interpreted as the complex conjugate in natural language, but it is a syntax error in Mathematica.

Posted 2 months ago

Yep. Seems that way.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract