|
4 Replies
|
3 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Calculate basic reproduction number using next generation matrix

Posted 4 years ago

equationss := {s - d T - [Beta]yT, [Beta]yT - [Delta]x, (1 - [Rho]) (1 - [Epsilon]) px - cy, [Rho] (1 - [Epsilon]) px - cz }

equilimpoints = Solve[equationss == {0, 0, 0, 0}, {T, x, y, z}] // Simplify

(* Jacobian Matrix*)

m:= D[{equationss}, {{T, x, y, z}}]// MatrixForm

CharacteristicPolynomial[m /. equilimpoints[[2]], \[Lambda]]

Eigenvalues[m /. equilimpoints[[2]]]

On the above problem, the CharastersticsPolynomial and Eigenvalues functions are not giving me any result, In addition to that, I wanted to calculate the Basic reproduction number of the system of ordinary differential equations using next-generation matrix method. However, I could not find any inbuilt function for this method. Can somebody point me in the right direction?

In a nut shell, here are my questions

1. Characteristic polynomial and Eigenvalues functions are not giving any result why?
  2. is there any inbuilt function to calculate the basic reproduction number using the next-generation matrix?

Thank you before hand.

POSTED BY: Abiy Zeleke
4 Replies

You probably do not want

m:= D[{equationss}, {{T, x, y, z}}]// MatrixForm

because m then has the head MatrixForm, but instead you might want

(m = D[{equationss}, {{T, x, y, z}}]) // MatrixForm
POSTED BY: Henrik Schachner

I have not used the NGM method myself, but will need to soon for my own research. I came across this reference recently:

Diekmann O, Heesterbeek JA, Roberts MG. The construction of next-generation matrices for compartmental epidemic models. J R Soc Interface 2010;7:873–85.

HTH,

Bob

POSTED BY: Robert Nachbar
Anonymous User
Anonymous User
Posted 4 years ago

is there any inbuilt function to calculate the basic reproduction number using the next-generation matrix?

I found this lesson on wolfram web:

https://reference.wolfram.com/language/tutorial/DSolveSystemsOfLinearODEs.html

please state what you think is "next generation". i can tell you if you google it you'll find other mathematica help pages, and that matrix solve (using the method above) isn't the only way to solve a system of ODE

POSTED BY: Anonymous User
Anonymous User
Anonymous User
Posted 4 years ago

Characteristic polynomial and Eigenvalues functions are not giving any result why?

Tenenbaum p. 291 shows this is correct. Suppose X'=AX+B where A is the matrix. A={{-p,q},{b,-q}} B={r,s}. dx/dt=ay-px+r, dy/dt=bx-qy+s. X[t]={x[t],y[t]}, X[0]=[x0,y0]

In[378]:= 
CharacteristicPolynomial[{{-p, a}, {b, -q}}, m] == 
 Det[{{-p, a}, {b, -q}} - m {{1, 0}, {0, 1}}]

Out[378]= True

You should explain the problem more and even why you move between each step (ex, what book and chapter you are in - because there's more than one way to solve it). To me you are apparently solving a problem similar to the arms race problem.

my guess is that you are reading about using a specific method of solving a system of ODE which employs a eigenvalue solution modified for ODE (note it's not the only way to solve it, and perhaps not popular). the steps are not straight forward (require analysis of each outcome during the process?) and there isn't a way to "force mm" to use that method (mm will use whichever method it finds determines will best completely solve it). it would maybe be best not to use mm for the lesson (do by hand) since it may take much longer to lay it all in than it is worth and you'll need to move on to the next/other methods quickly.

POSTED BY: Anonymous User
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract