|
3 Replies
|
2 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Compute a PDE with boundary conditions?

Posted 4 years ago

Hi. I am new to Mathematica and currently keep getting an error when trying to compute a PDE that is attached. Boundary conditions are also attached. I was wondering if anyone know what I was doing wrong here? I can computer other more basic PDEs but this one it does not like.

Attachment

Attachments:
POSTED BY: William Troy
3 Replies
Anonymous User
Anonymous User
Posted 4 years ago
 D[u[0,t],x]==0

instead use (D[u[x,t],x] /. x->0)

You need to find D[u[x,t],x] and substitute 0 into the result, most probably. There may be options for another way to specify the same thing - but I use the simple rule above.

POSTED BY: Anonymous User
Posted 4 years ago

When it attempted to evaluate

D[u[0,t],x]==0

there was no x to differentiate with respect to and thus the result was zero and thus that result was immediately True. Likewise for two more of your boundary conditions.

This tries to correct those issues.

DSolve[{1/a*D[u[x,t],t]+tq/a*D[u[x,t],t,t]==D[u[x,t],x,x]+tt*D[u[x,t],x,x,t]+
  1/lamda*(5977113*(HeavisideTheta[x-L/2+R]-HeavisideTheta[x-L/2-R])),
  (D[u[x,t],x]/.x->0)==(D[u[x,t],x]/.x->L)==0,D[u[x,t0],x]==0,u[x,t0]==T0},u[x,t],{x,t}]

Please check that very carefully to make certain that it is correct.

When Mathematica echos back your input that indicates that it cannot solve a problem. Unfortunately this seems to indicate that Mathematica can find a solution to your problem.

You might consider whether you could assign numeric constants to all your parameters and do a numeric NDSolve.

POSTED BY: Bill Nelson
Posted 4 years ago

I think Mathematica is just not capable of solving this equation based off of this...

Attachment

Attachments:
POSTED BY: William Troy
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract