Message Boards Message Boards

Font size and ImagePadding in 12.1

Posted 4 years ago

After installing Mathematica 12.1 on my Win 10 laptop, I (also) noticed that the default notebook font is a much larger than it used to be. The same thing as in this post: https://community.wolfram.com/groups/-/m/t/1910772.

But, I also noticed a problem with global magnification setting and graphic frames. I like frame over axes in my graphics, so I have default setting of Axes -> False, Frame -> True in my Plot, ListPlot etc. As I tried to overcome the large font problem by setting the Magnification with SetOptions[$FrontEnd, "Magnification" -> 0.8], I also noticed that all my plots are missing a part of their right vertical frame. If I want them to display properly (with Magnification something smaller than 1), I would need to manually set ImagePadding to {{Automatic, 1}, {Automatic, Automatic}}.

This is quite annoying, can it be fixed in some way? And the original problem of large fonts, also?

POSTED BY: Antti Penttilä
3 Replies

If all of your monitors are running at 100%, we grandfather the FrontEnd into how things rendered in 12.0. You can opt-out of being grandfathered in by setting ScreenResolutionCompatibilityMode->False in the Options Inspector. If a display is running greater than 100%, then the FrontEnd runs in this new manner.

As for the clipped frame, I only see that when the global scale is set to 115%. 100% is fine. 125% is fine. You should email tech support and have them file a bug.

POSTED BY: Ian Hojnicki

Hi, now I think I might now what's causing these problems to some, but not to all. I usually have my display scaling in Windows 10 global settings set to something else than 100%, to 115% for example. Now when I tested Mathematica behavior with the Win 10 global display scaling set to 100%, everything seemed to work OK. The default notebook font was of reasonable size, and the graphics frames were OK both with Mathematica 1.0 Magnification, and with 0.8 or 0.75 Magnification. I can produce the problem (when global display scaling other than 100%) with this short code:

Choose either this...
SetOptions[$FrontEnd, "Magnification" -> 1.0]
...or this
SetOptions[$FrontEnd, "Magnification" -> 0.8]
and plot
Plot[Sin[x], {x, 0, \[Pi]}, Frame -> True, Axes -> False]
POSTED BY: Antti Penttilä

To be more inline with 12.0, the Magnification should be set to 0.75. i.e. 72/96. I wasn't able to immediately reproduce any clipping of the vertical frame, so it might be nice if you could supply an example. And probably the result of CurrentValue["WindowResolution"].

POSTED BY: Ian Hojnicki
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract