Message Boards Message Boards

Trouble connecting to and reading data from an external temperature probe

Posted 4 years ago

Hello everyone, first post here, new to Mathematica. Thanks for your help in advance. I will include as much detail as I can in order to make it easiest to help solve my problem.

Right now I am designing an automated process control system using Mathematica. Firstly, I need to read data from a probe meter shown here connected via USB. I don't have any problem using DeviceOpen to access the device, but reading anything from it has been an issue. When I try to read from the device using DeviceReadBuffer, I'm not even able to return any contents from the device. That seems to be the root of the problem in regards to why I'm not able to read any sensor data.

My question to the community is: what could be the problem here?

• Is USB the wrong connection type to be reading this data using Mathematica?
  • The device also offers analog output through its X1 & X2 extension port connectors (see image below). So far unfamiliar with these connection types, but do you think I'll need to read the data from this output instead? This may involve some extra accessories such as an ADC or UART, so I need to just ensure that I'd be able to convert into a connection type that my modern PC laptop can support (preferably USB so that I can just refer to my COM port for the easiest programming right?)

I have been working off of instructions from this tutorial. I have reached out to the manufacturer as well to get their insight, but figured I may get some useful nuggets from you guys on here as well. I have also attached my notebook up to the point when I am experiencing problems, though there's not much in it. Thanks in advance!

P.S. Here is some extra information that may be useful. To make things more interesting, when I am running their included data logging software, I am not even able to use DeviceOpen to access the device. It's as if the software is blocking my access to it. Makes me wonder if a custom developed driver is needed to make this connection and read this data. I'd ideally be able to read data from this device while the data logging software is running...

X1 & X2 extension port connectors

POSTED BY: Darren Anthony
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract