Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
36 Replies
|
1 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Its just a little file in 31 tone equal temperament.

Posted 4 years ago

I first wrote this code in 1994. It was version three. I could not ever get it to run to completion. Puny desktops, and the early versions kept crashing. I got version 12 about a month ago. I finally get to hear what I write. It has been what? ...30 years.

I'm not too bright. Could anyone help make the code more efficient?

I am sorry if I am breaking the community rules...I am desperate...this is my message in a bottle.

Best wishes. Patrick Michael Joseph Rose

Attachments:
POSTED BY: Patrick Rose
36 Replies
Posted 4 years ago

This upload is of the same type as the previous one. It has a random element so every time you run it, it is different but yet still the same. It runs in about 27 minutes. I have files based on completely different ideas. It may all be garbage. If you do not like what you hear then just alter it. The continuous functions that are traced out in four-space from a hypercube in rotational motion can be mapped to a midi piano. LOL. At least my mom liked it LOL. I think I may be a little off. LOL. Are other people doing this? I may not be looking very hard, but from what I have seen on the internet...Concerning this upload. I look at my own code and it is unknown to me. I have no idea what I was thinking at the time. Is this a give and take? Or is it just a give? Why are there two kernels in my task manager and only one of them goes over 0.2% CPU usage? Also if there are two kernels should I not be able to make to simultaneous runs? This all so embarrassing LOL. The daily cases are creeping back up. June 7th.

Attachments:
Posted 4 years ago

Task Manager says two kernels are running. One of them stays at about 33% CPU, the other just sits at zero. What up with that?

Posted 4 years ago

This one is a 3D solid that has harmonies at its vertices. Then I took what is called a Partch Matrix and orthogonalized it, and then used that matrix to rotate the solid off-center so to speak and then played that. Just ctrl all shift enter. This one does not use the integration of time vs. frequency graph to play. The "volume control" parts of the evaluation used to give underflow errors in the older versions. I did not try to use any tricks to shorten the run time of this file. It only takes about 5 minutes to run on my AXC-603G-UW15

Attachments:
Posted 4 years ago

A fun one was actually taking the continuous path orbits of the planets and realizing the ancient Greek "Harmony of the Spheres" Well that is my limit of 2 entries for the day.

Posted 4 years ago

I did not go the more divisions route with my most recent run. Instead, I tried to run an actual 8 minute and 32-second composition both using and breaking the rules of counterpoint. I will not inflict it upon you. It took about 72 hours to run. It worked. The last version I had, which was version 8 it would not complete. When I would get smaller lists to complete the *.wav file always had an annoying crackling sound that overwhelmed the piece. (see my earlier thread concerning this very same complaint.) Once those many years ago I was able to play any time vs frequency continuous function. A lot of stuff opened up. Three, four-dimensional solids became musical objects and years and years of tricks. Judge Jenkins of Dallas County is basically a hero. He is (and I say this in the kindest way possible) basically thumbing his nose at the governor and the attorney general. June 7th...That is the day we are all waiting for around here.

Posted 4 years ago

Here is one more using 7th chords

Attachments:
Posted 4 years ago

I do not get it. I tried to clean the code up. This new upload is twice as many notes and the trig series has twice as many terms and it only took an hour to run. So weird. Basically just plug in your own lists and make your own 31 tones equal temperament composition. Next, I either try to improve the code some more or up the divisions of the octave. I also did a little linear fit. I am still in search of that infinite divisions to the octave harmony or at least some approximation.

Attachments:
Posted 4 years ago

Mr. Purcell: I ran the 8000 Hz version of your code and it took under six hours. It basically sounds just like the 12000 Hz version except some of the very high pitches during the first second or two are missing, but it did basically sound the same. So I guess you did hear freakish. Once I get into the lower registers, to me anyway, it sounds beautiful. As I said I use the diff eq commonly taught technique to create a compound Sin Cos wave to imitate the discrete function. I tried looking up in the Help Wolfram Documentation using the word Fourier for a single command that would do the work of the largest bulk of code in my document but did not find anything. Should I look again? Is there such a single command that accomplishes the same thing? Best wishes and thank you for the help. You literally saved me almost a day per evaluation.

Dear @Patrick Rose,

A spate of updates in a given day can be distracting for readers who receive email alerts about Wolfram Community posts they are following. We ask that you collect your remarks and questions and restrict to at most one or two updates to this post per day.

The Wolfram Community Moderation Team

POSTED BY: Moderation Team
Posted 4 years ago

Does anyone want the specs of my computer?

Posted 4 years ago

Man my walmart desktop must be so lame. Cause the 8000Hz code is taking to long also.

Posted 4 years ago

I am so excited I cannot do fractions lol! 30x=10.

Posted 4 years ago

HALLELUIAH!!!! Kudos to Mr. Purcell!!!! The table part of the code generated in under 10 hours!!! You cut my time by two-thirds!!!! The ListPlay generated in under five seconds.

Sorry If i was mean. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

I will now try to run the same code at 8000 Hz to hear what you heard.

Posted 4 years ago

Someone younger, smarter, and better looking (lol) needs to take up this cause. If it has not already been solved. If it has please let me know.

Posted 4 years ago

They only reason I have chosen to come out and risk humiliation is the painful reality of mortality in the midst of this crisis

Posted 4 years ago

I have chosen the highest voice the alto to be my attempt at a continuous curve. It could probably all be done with just numbers and good code, but I am not that good.

Posted 4 years ago

Whoops, soprano not alto voice. Whatever the highest voice is....The yellow line on the graph I think.

Posted 4 years ago

Whoops forgot the file for the pretty one.

Attachments:
Posted 4 years ago

Well, it has been six hours and the code you gave me is still running. After it runs, I will try the 8000 sample rate. It is little surprise that it sounded like "freakish electronic music" at a sample rate of 8000hz. This piece needs a minimum of 12000 Hz. As I said I will try it at 8000Hz and see if it runs at 138 seconds. I have uploaded a second composition that is more consonant at the beginning and has a volume control in the code.

The idea is to compose with more divisions to the octave so that at least one voice sounds like a continuous curve and the whole piece still has a drive to the tonic. It already sounds like sliding pitches since I use a Fourier series technique to make a compound Sin Cos function that approximates the discrete voice line. I am not talking about that. The discrete voice line has to be made up of such tiny divisions that it sounds like a continuous line and yet the whole piece is still driving to the tonic. I have wanted to know the math properties of that ideal continuous voice line for 30 years. A continuous voice where every point is part of a Harmony.

Posted 4 years ago

it has been 30 minutes and the code is still evaluating. I strongly suspect it will take 30 hours. Anyone?

Posted 4 years ago

Attached is your code I am running. I only changed the sample rate to double the highest frequency of 6000 in the piece. It has already been 15 minutes and it still has not evaluated. Does anyone want to provide a second opinion?

Attachment

Attachments:
Posted 4 years ago

and I am in the middle of what I hope will be my last 30-hour run.

Posted 4 years ago

I am feeling much better. In Dallas City. Every time I go shopping it seems I get sick then better. Thank you so much. It will be a day before I can attempt to use your code. It is AP testing time online and my kiddos are keeping me busy.

Posted 4 years ago

Thank you so much. I will attempt to apply what you did. And no, I will not quit my day job :)

I added the following to your 30 year old code and it ran without a hitch in just over 2 minutes on my six year old iMac, producing 128 seconds of freakish electronic music. Don't quit your day job. :)

samplerate = 8000; (* samples per second *) samples = Table[(Sin[Pi*a] + Sin[Pi *b] + Sin[Pi *c] + Sin[Pi *d]), {x, -64, 64, 1./samplerate}]; (* takes 138 seconds *) ListPlay[ samples, SampleRate -> samplerate] enter image description here

Posted 4 years ago

It has probably all been done already...I had the idea back in 1990, and just was not taken seriously. Still probably not.

Posted 4 years ago

I am vertical now, and making coffee. I still feel like garbage, but ready to talk. If needed.

Posted 4 years ago

A kind of calculus (in the sense of infinitely many infinitely thin things being summed) theory of music .

Posted 4 years ago

The goal is to make the divisions of the octave so high that they sound like sliding pitches, yet they still drive toward the tonic. microtonal tonalism

Posted 4 years ago

Every Mathematica version and computer I ever had could not complete the run till now.

Posted 4 years ago

They are defined as lists and they were in the first upload, but it was all out of order. Now all you have to do is select all and evaluate. It is all in order now.

It will take about 33 hours to run if your computer is as week as mine.

Attachments:

A considerable amount is missing e.g. bot, top, middle definitions.

POSTED BY: Daniel Lichtblau
Posted 4 years ago

Thank you so much for responding. I am not feeling well. I want to cooperate in whatever way possible. t1=top=soprano b1=bottom=bass middle and middle2 are m1 and m12 which are alto and tenor I cannot tell which right now. I have to lay back down.

Just tell me what you need and I will get on it A.S.A.P.

Posted 4 years ago

lo siento, es tut mir leid. but could you please define what you mean by definitions?

I mean they do not have values assigned to them. So the code cannot be run, the plots cannot be regenerated, etc.

POSTED BY: Daniel Lichtblau
Posted 4 years ago

Oh yeah. One other thing. For whatever its worth. Thank you Janell Pummill.

Group Abstract Group Abstract