|
3 Replies
|
1 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

How to differentiate a parametric plot

Posted 11 years ago
I have a parametric function that can only be solved numerically. Using ?NumericQ, I can plot the results with respect to a parameter.

I then wish to plot the differential of that curve, which is a plot of the slope.

I am sure I read something about this once, but I lack the vocabulary to re-locate the article I read...after a long fruitless search.
POSTED BY: Luther Nayhm
3 Replies
More detail, preferably a simplified example illustrating the issue you're having, would probably help people suggest solutions.  There are many ways to compute a function numerically, and for some of them it's easy to get the derivative.  I doubt that  NumericQ  is an insurmountable problem.
POSTED BY: Michael Rogers
Posted 11 years ago
That may be the answer. However, it appears to be unduly complicated for my purposes, but it may be where I have to go to get the results I am looking for.

I can differentiate my parametric function before I plot it. The undifferentiated function is easier to plot than the differentiated form, so I was trying to avoid issues with numerically integrating the differentiated form.  ?NumericQ does not like my differentiated form and throws off garbage, whereas the undifferentiated curve plots smoothly.

It looks like ?NumericQ may need more work by Wolfram but it is a slick routine.
POSTED BY: Luther Nayhm
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract