Message Boards Message Boards

Bookshare: Hands-on Start to Mathematica problem

Posted 4 years ago

I'm working through the exercises for the following book: Hands-on Start to Wolfram Mathematica and Programming with the Wolfram Language By Michael Morrison, Cliff Hastings, Kelvin Mischo Copyright 2015

…using Bookshare, a website for enabling persons with disabilities to get their books displayed in a format they can use. On page 18, I'm getting the error:

Manipulate::vsform: Manipulate argument SaveDefinitions True does not have the correct form for a variable specification.

I'm just copying the formula from the book into Mathematica. It is the example about life expectancy against country and GDP. Is anyone else able to reproduce this error? I'm wondering if the book displayed by Bookshare is not the same quality as the print edition, or if it's too old to work with the new Mathematica. I'm hesitant to copy the actual text of the book, because I don't want to aggravate anyone by copying their book, but I would like some help to understand why the exercise doesn't work.

Thanks.

POSTED BY: Mad Cyborg
Posted 4 years ago

Just a guess, but it could be just a text formatting problem? Try replacing the rule "->" symbols by typing "->" again, and then see if the code runs? Alternatively, copy and paste the text to a plain text editor first and check if the code still looks alright and then copy it to Mathematica.

POSTED BY: Marko Rossi
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract