GROUPS:

Use variable Length[] in Solve[]?

Posted 1 month ago
|
3 Replies
|
3 Total Likes
|

I'm trying to use Mathematica to solve some of the problems on Project Euler. I'm running into an issue with using Length[] in a Solve[] function.

My full function is: Solve[Length[Divisors[PolygonalNumber[x]]] - 1 > 500, x, PositiveIntegers]

It only outputs an empty set (no solutions). I've tried it with FindInstance[] and it does the same thing, and using Reduce[] simply evaluates to False. I'm very new to Mathematica so any help in understanding how I can fix this or what the limitations of equation solving are would be very appreciated!

POSTED BY: Ryan M
Answer
3 Replies

First thing would be to check how the input evaluates.

In[4053]:= Length[Divisors[PolygonalNumber[x]]] - 1

Out[4053]= 0

So Solve sees False as its input, hence empty solution set.

Since this is a PE problem, you will likely need to consider a less brute-force approach.

Posted 1 month ago

That's a great explanation, though I'm still wondering if there is a way to mark the expression as variable since if I use Table[Length[Divisors[PolygonalNumber[x]]] - 1, {x, 100}], it shows the list of computed factors correctly. I thought Solve[] would not prematurely evaluate an expression containing the variable to be solved for...

And yes, how I approach these problems is typically to design a theoretical brute-force method and then refactor the solution until it runs well and makes sense conceptually. In this case, though, I was able to use Table[] with the function and just tried a large range for x and it found the answer in a second or two. Still wondering if this could have been avoided with other functions that don't require an explicit range of values to be evaluated.

POSTED BY: Ryan M
Answer

Length is a programming construct, not a part of symbolic math. Solve works on statements of symbolic math. Mathematica's symbolic math basically consists of:

1. Problems it can solve.
  2. Transformation rules it tries to use to transform your problem into one it can solve.

Given that your problem is a research problem, it is unlikely to be in the first category. Given that its statement is procedural, transformation is also unlikely.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract