Message Boards Message Boards

Can I use Camera on iPad?

I get a message that DeviceOpen is not supported on WolframCloud. Does anybody know if itmis possible to use iPad or iPhone Camera to take picture, please?

POSTED BY: Vladimir Portnyk
2 Replies

That's an "easy" one!

This should work:

• transform your iPad into an IP Camera
  • make the IP globally available (either with a forward service provided by the IP Camera app, or with port forwarding on your router)
  • on the Wolfram Cloud, use Import to get the image, as for example:

Import["http://yourIPhere/photo.jpg"]

The above photo.jpg is the "script" needed for an app like ip WebCam (on android). This part of the URL may vary between apps (I never looked into the "iApps" world to see what could be your best option as app, but I guess that there should be equivalent options)

Hope it works for you.

• if it does, please publish here the app you used, and the code snippet
POSTED BY: Pedro Fonseca

This is just a wild hunch, but you might be able to use Mathematica's Mail functions to send an email to your iPad. The email might contain some distinguishing keyword. Apple now has a scripting tool in iOS called Shortcuts. It may be feasible to write a Shortcut that you would start and leave running, which would read your incoming mail, detect your keyword, take a photo, then email it back. Mathematica can read emails, so could detect a keyword, and import the image. This could be probably be packaged up very nicely into a single routine and would work at long distance if your iPad had cellular service. If SendMail would work on my Mac, I would test this, but it has not worked for me since Version 10. The MailServerConnect routines for reading mail, however, work fine on my Mac.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract