|
3 Replies
|
2 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Solve 6 non-linear equations for 6 variables not working

Posted 4 years ago

I am trying to solve a system of 6 non-linear equations for 6 variables, but the notebook is continuously running for 2 days. What am I doing wrong? (Notebook attached)

Attachments:
POSTED BY: Neerav Kaushal
3 Replies

From what I can see there are non-numeric parameters. How is NSolve expected to deal with them?

It would also be useful to have some description of the geometry problem under consideration. The fourth equation is to impose colinearlty with point 2 in the middle? The last two equations are some sort of equal slope constraints? Maybe it would make sense to change coordinates so that all points lie on the x axis? If so, that would simplify the system substantially.

POSTED BY: Daniel Lichtblau
Anonymous User
Anonymous User
Posted 4 years ago

These are 3 circles radius h1-3, of different centers (shifted in z which is immaterial). A solution could be be any intersections, but no equation yet creates coupling/dependency between these three equations of 6 unknowns. Bye the way Mathematica could graph the first 3 circles and even give the points using it's library of new geometry helper functions)

"wrong symmetry of placement", no go

In[384]:= x1 = 1; y1 = 2; z1 = 4;
x2 = 1; y2 = 2; z2 = 4;
x3 = 1; y3 = 2; z3 = 4;

will be True

In[387]:= x1 = 1; y1 = 1; z1 = 1;
x2 = 3; y2 = 3; z2 = 3;
x3 = 7; y3 = 7; z3 = 7;

In[390]:= exp1 = (xd1 - x1)^2 + (yd1 - y1)^2 + z1^2 == h1^2

Out[390]= 1 + (-1 + xd1)^2 + (-1 + yd1)^2 == h1^2

In[391]:= exp2 = (xd2 - x2)^2 + (yd2 - y2)^2 + z2^2 == h2^2

Out[391]= 9 + (-3 + xd2)^2 + (-3 + yd2)^2 == h2^2

In[392]:= exp3 = (xd3 - x3)^2 + (yd3 - y3)^2 + z3^2 == h3^2

Out[392]= 49 + (-7 + xd3)^2 + (-7 + yd3)^2 == h3^2

That these are all true "says something". That intersection of the spheres is not the solution. But symmetry in placement is a rule, likely there is some nifty geometric interpretation for each

In[393]:= exp4 = ((x1 - x2)^2 + (y1 - y2)^2 + (z1 - z2)^2)^(1/
      2) + ((x2 - x3)^2 + (y2 - y3)^2 + (z2 - z3)^2)^(1/
      2) == ((x1 - x3)^2 + (y1 - y3)^2 + (z1 - z3)^2)^(1/2)

Out[393]= True

In[394]:= exp5 = ((z2 - z1)/(((x1 - x2)^2 + (y1 - y2)^2 + (z1 - z2)^2)^(1/2))) == ((z3 -
       z2)/(((x2 - x3)^2 + (y2 - y3)^2 + (z2 - z3)^2)^(1/2)))

Out[394]= True

In[395]:= exp6 = ((z3 - z1)/(((x1 - x3)^2 + (y1 - y3)^2 + (z1 - z3)^2)^(1/2))) == ((z3 -
       z2)/(((x2 - x3)^2 + (y2 - y3)^2 + (z2 - z3)^2)^(1/2)))

Out[395]= True

But it also says something else: that even when the last 3 are True first three "are still not coupled", they do not depend on each other, in any way. (it was my purpose so far to bench check if the equations are coupled and make sense, btw). So really, you could say, you have 3 equations in 12 unknowns, or 3 eq. in 6 unknowns if your statement 6 are variable must hold, ...

I hope that was not too rudimentary and helpful. I do not have a formula to compute "any system of non-linear matrix". I can say you might try reducing the spheres to points (get that solution, then ask about how to parlay that into one of circles and spheres "extra padding" rules). There is another approach which is to convert your spheres into planes by mapping, solve that, then transform them back into spheres or circles, which would be a length discussion.

In[400]:= sol = NSolve[{exp1, exp2, exp3, exp4, exp5, exp6}, {xd1, yd1, xd2, yd2, xd3, 
    yd3}, Reals];

During evaluation of In[400]:= NSolve::svars: Equations may not give solutions for all "solve" variables.

yd1 -> ConditionalExpression[
  1.  - 1. Sqrt[-2. + h1^2 + 2. xd1 - 1. xd1^2], Or[
  And[d`h1 > 1., d`h2 > 3., d`h3 > 7., 
Inequality[
  1. - 1. (-1. + d`h1^2)^Rational[1, 2], Less, d`xd1, Less, 
  1. + (-1. + d`h1^2)^Rational[1, 2]], 

<SNIP (a very long list of conditions), and large number of suggest solutions.>

POSTED BY: Anonymous User
Posted 4 years ago

If you give up on the current calculation, and I am not suggesting that you do that, then

You have three equations with square roots on both sides. You can square both sides and eliminate all, but one of those square roots. If you find solutions to this revised set of equations, you must then check to see which solutions satisfy the original equations.

You have two equations with denominators on both sides. You can cross multiply and eliminate those denominators. If you find solutions to this revised set of equations, you must check to see which solutions satisfy the original equations.

You are asking NSolve to only find Real solutions. I believe I have seen at times the calculation can take substantially longer when limiting solutions to only be Reals. If you remove the Reals limit and find solutions then you must check to see which solutions satisfy your condition.

I do not know how much time, if any, this might save, but those would be the things that I would try. I do not see other things in your notebook that make me think they are a problem.

POSTED BY: Bill Nelson
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract