|
5 Replies
|
1 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Can't find multivariable limit calculator on phone app

Posted 4 years ago

Hello everyone this is my first post here.

So, I purchased Wolfram Alpha via my phone so I have a mobile limit calculator. However, every time I try to type "multivariable limit calculator" it says that Wolfram Alpha doesn't know how to interpret my input.

I can find a widget via google search which solves it for me but unfortunately it does not provide the steps(no option for it) and I purchased the mobile version anyways.

My question is does WolframAlpha not have that kind of calculator, and if it does, how can I find it on my phone?

I'm using Android if it matters.

Thanks!

POSTED BY: darryn scott
5 Replies
Posted 4 years ago

Since you purchased WolframAlpha

Can you type

limit sin(x)/x,x->Infinity

into the WolframAlpha expression box, tap the = at the right end of that and then tap the Step-by-step solution button just below that? Does that give you the complete list of steps or just a first line of a hint?

POSTED BY: Bill Nelson
Posted 4 years ago

Thanks for answering.

Yes, I can. However if I type

limit (x+y)/(xy), x->0, y->0

It only says that the limit does not exist without any steps. Note that this is the output for every other limit I try (which is multivariable).

Note though that I can find a widget via google search but it doesn't give me the steps, while WolframAlpha does not even understand my query if I type "multivariable limit" in the app.

Could you try it and possibly tell me how to access a multivariable limit calculator via my phone apl (I'm fairly confident that there is one)?

Thanks!

Posted 4 years ago

I've learned something about Wolfram Alpha that I didn't know existed.

If I go to Wolfram Alpha and in the text box type

limit calculator

then a different page appears and it asks me to enter the Computational Inputs. I can enter your two variable expression and then tell it that the variable is x and the value to approach is zero. Then I can click

include second limit

and enter the information for y.and then click Compute.

It gives me a result for approaching those limits from a particular direction. And off to the left is a red button labeled Step-by-step solution. When I click that a menu drops down showing me the steps to find that limit.

I had no idea this was hiding inside Wolfram Alpha.

Perhaps this is the way to get it to do multi variable limits and show you the steps.

Can you reproduce all this?

POSTED BY: Bill Nelson
Posted 4 years ago

Thank you (and Bill Nelson) for sorting out where this limit calculator can be found and also what it supports for consecutive limits. My small contribution at this point is to note that multivariate limit computations, for the case when such limits exist, are unlikely ever to support a "Show steps" capability. It would be nice to support it in cases where the limit does not exist (e.g. by showing different path-dependent results). It might also be nice to show it for cases where the limit trivially exists (meromorphic function with denominator not vanishing at point of interest). Other cases involve methods and computational machinery that do not lend themselves to showing steps.

POSTED BY: Daniel Lichtblau
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract