|
5 Replies
|
1 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Graphing double pendulum position equation

Posted 4 years ago

Hi, there all you guys. I'm so happy to be part of the community.

For a couple of days, I've been working on both simple and double pendulum motion. By Lagrange's equation, I just managed to find the motion equations of both problems. Graphing the motion equation of the simple pendulum wasn't a great deal, but I'm stuck trying to graph the motion equation in the second one. Perhaps I'm not using the DSolve command correctly to solve the system of the differential equation I have to deal with.

Thank you so much for your help!

POSTED BY: John Mosquera
5 Replies

John,

You should also consider using Wolfram SystemModeler (WSM). WSM makes it much easier to get the results and animation. You can even run WSM from within Mathematica.

For example, open either the example "Modelica.Mechanics.MultiBody.Examples.Elementary.DoublePendulum" or "Modelica.Mechanics.MultiBody.Examples.Elementary.DoublePendulumInitTip"

they look like this:

enter image description here

The animation looks like this (and it can be customized and run at various speeds):

enter image description here

You can run it in WSM or simulate it in Mathematica:

model = SystemModel["Modelica.Mechanics.MultiBody.Examples.Elementary.DoublePendulum"]
sim = SystemModelSimulate[model]

Lastly, you can even get the equations of motion in Mathematica with some simplification and elimination of extraneous variables.

For a problem like this, WSM is far faster than Mathematica (unless you are trying to learn the equation approach). WSM also eliminates the common problem with Lagrangian approaches in which an error results in non-conservative or incorrect equations.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Neil

POSTED BY: Neil Singer
Posted 4 years ago

Take a look at this and this.

POSTED BY: Rohit Namjoshi
Posted 4 years ago

Thank you so much. I'll learn that mutch with this animation.

Posted 4 years ago

I just managed to "solve" the problem, but now I'm pretending to interact with the program so the user can add values as the mass or the length of the string; (All those values were taken as the unit in this example) as well as the initial conditions to solve the differential equations to get particular solutions.

I'll be looking for any advice or suggestion. Thanks so much.

You need to provide more detail, including any code you have already tried. Please make sure you know the rules: https://wolfr.am/READ-1ST

POSTED BY: Moderation Team
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract