|
13 Replies
|
17 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Allow support of 64-bit Raspi OS

Posted 3 years ago

Currently, only 32-bit OS is accepted by Mathematica, even on the Pi4; it would be great if support would be extended to at least 64-bit kernel and 32-bit userland, if not 64-bit total.

To get all this, not only ARMv7, but also aarch64 needs to be approved architectures for the Pi.

Thank you very much!

13 Replies

This is awesome. It feels snappy. Will the System Modeler functions be implemented at some point? It crashes on "Help" -> "About Wolfram Mathematica" -> "System information".

POSTED BY: Antonius Paijens
Posted 1 year ago

What are you referring to? Clicking on “System Information” opens a page with several tabs containing all sorts of information about the system. What are you looking for and think is missing?

POSTED BY: Ronald Antony

It is fantastic that there is a 64-bit kernel for the Raspberry Pi now. I thought that for the developers it might be good to know that on my Raspberry Pi - 4 with 8 Mb and standard Raspbian (Debian 11, bullseye) clicking on "System Information", causes the Notebook interface + kernel to become unresponsive, reproducibly. Sometimes it opens the tab sheet, sometimes it doesn't, but Mathematica always becomes unresponsive and has to be terminated. If you stay away from "System Information", Mathematica 13.2 on Raspberry Pi appears snappy and a pleasure to work with.

POSTED BY: Antonius Paijens
Posted 1 year ago

Interesting! This does NOT happen on my RasPi, but I’m running Kali-Linux. So it would seem to be either an issue with the RasPi-Debian version, or with your specific setup. I can reliably open this panel, and Mathematica remains responsive.

Thank you!

Posted 2 years ago

Now that Mathematica 13.0.1 for the RasPi is out, I must say it's a bit disappointing, that it's still only 32-bit. Most RasPi's available these days all (can) run a 64-bit OS, and there are RasPi's with up to 8GB RAM, a 32-bit Mathematica is not fully using the hardware's potential. After all, who needs Mathematica on these old RasPis which are still 32-bit-only?

You get what you pay.

POSTED BY: Robert Nowak

With the 64-bit OS now out of beta, it would be wonderful, to have an official support, thank you!

The 32 bit armhf version of Mathematica works fine on RPI OS 64 bit bullseye:
sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade
sudo apt install wolfram-engine
This installs the 12.3.1 version of Mathematica.

POSTED BY: Börje Månsson

Thanks and yes, I know; was looking forward to an aarch64 version.

The wolfram-engine_13.2.1+20230227524_arm64 deb package has been released and is now available from the official raspberrypi.org repository for Raspberry Pi OS based on Debian 11 (bullseye).

POSTED BY: Ilian Gachevski
Posted 1 year ago

Excellent news!!! Works also nicely under Kali-Linux by getting the install script with:

wget https://wolfr.am/wolfram-engine-raspi-install

And executing the downloaded script. Of course permissions must be adjusted like I wrote in another post, or else the licensing system throws a fit…

Is the package now exclusively 64-bit, or are 32-bit versions maintained for older platforms?

Only 64-bit going forward; users who run 32-bit can continue to use version 13.1.0 (or earlier).

POSTED BY: Ilian Gachevski
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract