Message Boards Message Boards

RemoteBatchSubmit to AWS: "The specified job definition ... does not exist"

Posted 3 years ago

EDIT: Solved. Switching locations on AWS, then creating a new BatchComputeEnvironment, solved the issue.

Following the workflow https://reference.wolfram.com/language/workflow/SetUpTheAWSBatchComputationProvider.html, I have a working BatchComputeEnvironment, and have authenticated the AWS service connection using my local credentials files. But when I run a RemoteBatchSubmit command of the form

RemoteBatchSubmit[RemoteBatchSubmissionEnvironment["AWSBatch", <|"JobQueue" -> "...", 
  "JobDefinition" -> "...", "IOBucket" -> "..."|>], 2 + 2]

, it gives the error:

RemoteBatchSubmit::awsbatch-missingdefinition: The specified job definition arn:aws:batch:us-east-1:[...] does not exist.

Other AWS calling functionality is working fine, such as:

ServiceConnect["AWS"]["GetService", 
  "Name" -> "Translate"]["TranslateText", "Text" -> "今日は良い一日だった", 
 "SourceLanguageCode" -> "auto", "TargetLanguageCode" -> "en"]

I've triple-checked the details are correct, and match what AWS shows me and what the workflow told me to do. And I can even submit jobs manually using the same job definition at console.aws.amazon.com/batch. Hence I have no clue about the error. Essentially, Mathematica is failing to recognise the existence of a job definition which exists. Any ideas?

POSTED BY: Daniel Martin
8 Replies
Posted 3 years ago

Thanks Jesse. Indeed. Glad to document my stumble in order to flesh out your UX.

Hi Daniel, it sounds like you got this working by creating a submission environment CloudFormation stack in a different region. For future reference, the region configured in the AWS service connection on your local machine (if you're using credential files, then that in the ~/.aws/config file, as described in this workflow) must match the region that the CloudFormation stack was created in. If a region isn't specified in ~/.aws/config, the default used is us-east-1.

I will make a note to improve the error message you encountered - it might be more clear if it said something like "The specified job definition arn:aws:batch:us-east-1:[...] does not exist in the XX-YYY-Z region."

POSTED BY: Jesse Friedman

What follows is a rather long sequence of getting a problem to work. Sorry for the long set of replies. Hopefully, someone will find this useful who encountered the same problem:

ServiceExecute::aws-requesterror: The DescribeJobDefinitions request failed with the following client error: no AWS credentials could be found using the specified authentication configuration.

I just set up an AWS account. I've run "aws configure" (on a mac, and not as sudo). The contents of .aws/* looks fine (region has two lines: default] and eu-1). I've tried the workflows in [set up aws batch computation provider and Authenticate with Amazon Web Services.

I am trying to hunt down the problem, but not even sure where to start looking. If you could just point me in the right direction....

POSTED BY: W. Craig Carter

I was able to get AWS to work. 1) I deleted all ssh-key pairs and created new ones. 2) re-ran aws configure. 3) Created a new service connection aws = ServiceConnect["AWS", "New"]

But, following the instructions in the workflow:

ec2 = aws["GetService", "Name" -> "EC2"]

and

ec2["DescribeInstanceTypes", "InstanceTypes" -> {"c5.12xlarge"}]

came back with

The DescribeInstanceTypes request failed with the following error from the server: "You are not authorized to perform this operation."

I'll update again if I make any progress.

I was able to fix the last problem by creating a new AWS group, adding myself as a user to that group, and giving the group Administration privileges. The AWS interface isn't very intuitive.

However, following the next workflow for a remote batch submit:

env = RemoteBatchSubmissionEnvironment[(*...copied from AWS...*)]

came back with

ServiceConnect::multser: One service was chosen from multiple AWS services.

and

job = RemoteBatchSubmit[env, 2 + 2]

came back with

ServiceExecute::aws-requesterror: The DescribeJobDefinitions request failed with the following client error: no AWS credentials could be found using the specified authentication configuration.

So, it looks like I will need to figure out how to delete multiple services. I'll report back if successful.

Using "ServiceObject" -> "New" inside the association of the second argument of RemoteBatchSubmissionEnvironment:

RemoteBatchSubmissionEnvironment["AWSBatch", <|
  "JobQueue" -> 
   "xxx", 
  "JobDefinition" -> 
   "xxx-us-east-xxx\
WolframJobDefinition-xxx", 
  "IOBucket" -> 
   "xxx",
  "ServiceObject" -> "New"|>]

works.

However,

job = RemoteBatchSubmit[env, 2 + 2]

fails with

RemoteBatchSubmit::awsbatch-missingdefinition: The specified job definition xxx:us-east-xxx does not exist.

Progress. Will report back

I created a new stack on AWS. It looks like the template is inserting "us-east" no matter what I do. Ah, there is a pull down menu on the AWS dashboard that asks you to specify your region:

pull down tab at right

However, trying to create a batch with the template fails with an error:

ROLLBACK COMPLETE

I'm stuck now. Not sure what to do next.

Posted 3 years ago

Switching locations on AWS solved the issue.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract