Message Boards Message Boards

Self-similar algebras in the framework of A New Kind of Science

2 Replies

Hi, the expression “self-similar" does not mean "self-identical". For example, a dog is similar to a wolf, but they are not identical. Indeed, the entries of a so-called self-similar matrix are rather different from the original matrix (they are similar in the sense that they are matrices). For Leibniz, the red blood cells in a fish's blood are similar to the pound's fish but not identical. Of course, there are figures, like the Sierpinski triangle, that are self-identical. Concerning the multiverse's self-similarity, the conjecture was not that it is self-similar as Leibniz would think. Still, it converges to some idealized structure that is self-similar. This conjecture is based on speculations from the theory of eternal inflation, where the multiverse is represented as a Cantor set. It may be false, I do not know.

Monads and self similar objects are a very interesting topic, thank you for this exposition. However, I cannot see how could it be possible for our universe to be a monad, because form the quantum world to the cosmological scale it seems to me that the universe looks and behaves quite differently at different scales and I am not able to discern any repeating self similar pattern.

Unless you are suggesting that this monadic behaviour presents itself just outside of our domain of knowledge, something like "our whole universe repeats self-similarly inside every electron".

In that case, I'd be interested to know the theoretical reason or chain of thought that brought you to consider such conjecture, apart of course from "why not", which is always valid.

POSTED BY: Ruggero Valli
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract