Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
2 Replies
|
1 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

How to display partial derivatives using ∂?

Posted 3 years ago

I'm using version 12.0. on Windows 10.
I want my output for results from D[ ], Dt[ ], etc. to use traditional notation, i.e. using the ∂ operator.
The TraditionalFunctionNotation option (under Traditional Notation Options, Expression Formatting, Formatting Options) does not accomplish this objective.
After an hour of searching the web and Mathematica help, I have found a few 'answers' that involve several or more lines of code (of which I understand little), and a suggestion involving "$preprint" and "pdConv." pdConv and can at least find in Mathematica documentation, but it's no more straightforward than the 'answers' requiring multiple lines of code.
I am not interested (at this point) in printing the output in publishable form, I just want to see it on the screen.
I've been manually entering Mathematica in a Word document using the insert equation process, which I use as a "viewer-friendly" reference for subsequent operations in my Mathematica notebook, but this is tedious and time consuming.
What is the way to accomplish this in Mathematica?

Thanks,
Paul

POSTED BY: Paul K
2 Replies

Besides the hints of Rohit you can use Inactivate, e.g.:

enter image description here

POSTED BY: Henrik Schachner
Posted 3 years ago

Type

d = D[Sin[x], x]

do not evaluate it. Right click on the cell bracket and select "Convert To" / "TraditionalForm". For a more permanent solution see this.

Or from the Palettes menu item, select "Basic Math Assistant" and use the templates to insert expressions in traditional form.

POSTED BY: Rohit Namjoshi
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract