Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
2 Replies
|
3 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Wolfram Cloud free edition - can't import files - work-around?

I'm trying to use Wolfram cloud to teach my Middle Schooler's data science concepts. I had a data file in .csv format. On my paid version of Wolfram Cloud, I can upload that .csv file and then import it into my notebook. When my students try to import a file, they get a message that they have to upgrade their account. At this point in the year, there aren't the resources to pay to upgrade the accounts. Is there a workaround? Can users of the Wolfram Cloud free version upload files from their hard drives? (I have been trying this myself and Wolfram Cloud doesn't allow me to set my directory to my hard drive.) Can I put the data on the web somewhere and have them access via URL.

POSTED BY: Tom Keeler
2 Replies
Posted 3 years ago

If you make the data file available from your account and provide the URL, they should be able to CloudImport it. For example, I made some example data publicly readable:

data=CloudImport[CloudObject["https://www.wolframcloud.com/obj/jfklein/financialtimeseries.csv"]]

If you don't want to make the data files available to just anyone, you can use Permissions on the object to control that. Give a single user access to a cloud object obj:

SetPermissions[obj, "alice@example.org" -> "Read"]

Or a group of users:

SetPermissions[obj, {"alice@example.org", "bob@example.org", "charles@example.org"} -> "Read"]

Or you might want to create a PermissionsGroup, grant read to the permissions group, and then manage the permissions group membership separately (AddUsers and RemoveUsers, listing with pg["Members"]. This probably will work well for you if you have multiple objects that you want to get the same permissions.

POSTED BY: Joel Klein

Thanks. That worked great. Saved this week's assignment.

POSTED BY: Tom Keeler
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract