GROUPS:

Duplicate solutions from DSolve[ ]?

Posted 3 months ago
|
7 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
|

I'm new to Mathematica. Why does it return solutions that appear to be duplicative? For example,

7 Replies

There's a factor of $(-1)^{k/3}$ for $k=0,1,2$ in the exponents. Mathematica is finding complex solutions to the ODE as well as real ones. I typed

FullSimplify[DSolve[{D[u[x,t],t]+t^2 D[u[x,t],x]==u[x,t],u[x,0]==Exp[2x]},u,{x,t}]]
TeXForm[u[x,t]/.%]

to obtain the $\TeX$ code which produces $$\left\{e^{-\frac{2 t^3}{3}+\sqrt[3]{t^3}+2 x},e^{-\frac{2 t^3}{3}-\sqrt[3]{-1} \sqrt[3]{t^3}+2 x},e^{-\frac{2t^3}{3}+(-1)^{2/3} \sqrt[3]{t^3}+2 x}\right\}$$ Maybe this is nicer to parse visually. It's also not simplifying $\sqrt[3]{t^3}$ because $\sqrt[3]\cdot$ is a multivalued function. There are ways to specify that $x,t$ and $u$ should be real, but I'm struggling to do that with the methods I know.

It would seem that the first solution is genuine, while the others are wrong, at least for t>0:

eqs = {D[u[x, t], t] + t^2 D[u[x, t], x] == u[x, t], 
   u[x, 0] == Exp[2 x]};
sol = DSolve[eqs, u, {x, t}];
Simplify[eqs /. sol, t > 0]

{{True, True}, {False, True}, {False, True}}

For t<0 it is the third solution that is correct. The second solution seems correct when t is imaginary and negative:

Simplify[eqs /. sol /. t -> I*t, t < 0]

Thanks, Gianluca Gorni and Adam Mendenhall. I get the same three solutions, which are identical in real numbers, even if I specify a real domain. What am I doing wrong?

Add notebook doesn't seem to be working for me right now. I attached the .nb.

Attachments:

The three solutions are not identical. Try this:

N[u[0, 1] /. sol]

You are doing nothing wrong. It is Mathematica that is messing up things by representing t as (-t^3)^(1/3), an expression that has three possible values, each agreeing with t in a different subdomain. You get a single correct expression of the solution with

PowerExpand[sol[[1]]]

Is there a way to limit results to real values? I've tried Assumptions and Assuming without the desired outcome.

I don't know. My guess is that the internal algorithm goes through solving a cubic equation, and it leaves to the user to sort out which branches to choose.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract