GROUPS:

[WSG21] Daily Study Group: System Modeler for Engineering

Posted 11 days ago
|
18 Replies
|
6 Total Likes
|

A new Daily Study Group on model-based systems engineering starts next week. Certified instructor @Ankit Naik will lead the group with assistance from MathCore engineers. See details about daily topics and sign up: https://wolfr.am/UoUvzCnD

18 Replies

We are excited to host this!

If you are new to System Modeler or an experienced user (and want a refresher), then this study group is relevant for you.

I will be joined by my colleagues @Leonardo Laguna Ruiz and @Sergio Vargas.

Posted 4 days ago

Hi Ankit, Can you provide a quick guide to obtaining and installing the requisite C++ compiler? What was on the Mathematica site wasn't easy enough for me. I'm not at all familiar with that. I presume it is free? Thank-you.

Hi,

Can you tell me which version of System Modeler and which OS are you using?

Can you try to use the following reference: https://reference.wolfram.com/system-modeler/UserGuide/InstallationandSetup.html

Yes, the C++ compiler is free.

Regards, Ankit

Posted 3 days ago

There are different types of connectors in one domain (i.e. flangea resp flangeb in the mechanical translational domain). Could you please explain which connector has to be connected to which connector? For example: what is different when flangeb of a spring is connected to flangeb of a mass in comparison when flangeb of a spring is connected to flangea of a mass? There is also an arrow shown in the icons of Mechanics-Translational-Models. For example at the Mechanic-Translational-Model Spring and Mass and Damper and ElastoGap the arrow is always directed from a flangea to flangeb. What is the purpose or the concept behind this arrow?

Posted 2 days ago

Hi Ulf, In these cases a good source of information is the library documentation. Check the documentation in Modelica.Mechanics.Translational.UsersGuide. Specifically, I can here point you to the online versions of the documentation, such as

https://reference.wolfram.com/system-modeler/libraries/Modelica/Modelica.Mechanics.Translational.UsersGuide.Overview.html

where you find

By convention in this library, the connector characterized as a filled green square is called flangea and placed at the left side of the component in the "design view" and the connector characterized as a non-filled green square is called flangeb and placed at the right side of the component in the "design view". The two connectors are completely identical, with the only exception that the graphical layout is a little bit different in order to distinguish them for easier access of the connector variables.

and in

https://reference.wolfram.com/system-modeler/libraries/Modelica/Modelica.Mechanics.Translational.UsersGuide.SignConventions.html

where you find information of the purpose of the arrow, which is basically to provide some help in establishing the signs of vector quantities and its relation to the physical system in which they are implemented.

Posted 2 days ago

Hi Sergio - thanks. That was what i was looking for. RTFM helps more often than not.

Posted 2 days ago

The "Component Properties" pop up window runs the height of my screen and beyond the screen bottom. Attempt to resize the window fail with the pop up disappearing resulting in system modeler "Model Center" lock up. The only solution I can find is a Task Manager stop process. Any suggestions?

Can I know which version of System Modeler and which OS are you using?

Posted 2 days ago

system modeler 12.2 build 9 OS Win 10.0 Thanks

Posted 2 days ago

Ex 4 Pendulum. Y(x) plot of pendulum.r[1], pendulum.r[2] results in horizontal line pendulum.r[2]=0 for range -222e-18< pendulum.r[1]<+222e-18. Is there an instruction in the training I missed?

I can show it again during the review session today.

Posted 2 days ago

Thanks, Was watching you in today's review session, I must have missed it. Model looks exactly like the exercise sheet 3. "Create components and animations Exercise 4 Pendulum" On simulation the animation shows a swinging pendulum Y[x] plot show nothing. time plot shows r2[t]=1 constant r1[t]=0 constant. What might be wrong?

I think to have figured this out. By changing the position reference the plot looks like that of the lesson.

Modelica.Mechanics.MultiBody.Types.ResolveInFrameA.world

Posted 2 days ago

Ex 4 Pendulum. Not sure what you mean by "Add this as a model plot, calling it Pendulum angle." Does that mean Wolfram system Modeler Simulation Center > Plot > Add Plot to Model ... ?

Yes

Posted 1 day ago

Not clear to me what this means ...

Drag and drop the new Car dynamics graphic over the old one. The F1 car has changed its behavior.

Help > Documentation Center > Simulation Center - Plot Windows had nothing to say about this.

Help?

Posted 9 hours ago

Should this command open a System Modeler (GUI) session?

SystemModeler[{"WSMExercises.Ex6.MyModels.Inerter"}]

SystemModeler::ncor: SystemModeler is a full graphical modeling and simulation environment available in the Wolfram SystemModeler product.

Posted 9 hours ago

Can you help me understand In[23] failed? I tried both with and with out system model GUI launched, with the same result.

In[23]:= CreateSystemModel["WSMExercises.Ex7.MyModels.Wingnut", wingnut];

In[24]:= SystemModel["WSMExercises.Ex7.MyModels.Wingnut", "ModelicaDisplay"]

During evaluation of In[24]:= SystemModel::nomod: The model WSMExercises.Ex7.MyModels.Wingnut was not found.

Out[24]= SystemModel["WSMExercises.Ex7.MyModels.Wingnut", "ModelicaDisplay"]

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract