|
4 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Distance between a point and others is an integer

Posted 3 years ago

I have 4 points in a 2D plane

{{0, 0}, {20, 0}, {138/5, (24 Sqrt[6])/5}, {25, 10 Sqrt[6]}}

and wish to find a 5th point such that the distances to the 4 points is an integer.

I have tried solving for a point to the point {138/5, (24 Sqrt[6])/5}, specifying Integer elements and reals and cannot get any specific point as an answer, it's all conditionally based. Satisfying 4 points simultaneously seems unobtainable. My question is, is this solvable using Mathematica's built in functions? Or do I resort to a programmable approach?

Btw the pairwise distances between those 4 points are Integer.

POSTED BY: Paul Cleary
6 Replies

Each of the points has integer distance from the others. This finds a new point with integer distances from the other four:

pts = {{0, 0}, {20, 0}, {138/5, (24 Sqrt[6])/5}, {25, 10 Sqrt[6]}};
dists = MapIndexed[({x, y} - #) . ({x, y} - #) == d[#2[[1]]]^2 &, 
  pts]
eqs = Eliminate[dists, {x, y}]
instc = FindInstance[
  eqs && d[1] > 0 && d[2] > 0 && d[3] > 0 && d[4] > 0, Array[d, 4], 
  Integers]
Solve[dists /. instc[[1]]]
POSTED BY: Gianluca Gorni
Posted 3 years ago

Gianluca, Thank you, that does indeed find another point, it is unfortunate that the point is co-linear with 2 of the lines and would be an invalid solution to my problem, but I am sure I can adapt. Thanks again.

Posted 3 years ago

If I am not certain whether there is a solution then I try minimize and see whether the result is near zero

p={{0, 0}, {20, 0}, {138/5, (24 Sqrt[6])/5}, {25, 10 Sqrt[6]}};
NMinimize[Plus@@Map[Norm[{x,y}-#]&,p],{x,y}]

which returns

{55.,{x->21.9047,y->9.33135}}

That is no guarantee that it didn't get trapped in a local minimum

POSTED BY: Bill Nelson
Posted 3 years ago

Bill, Thank you, an interesting idea, though I am not too sure how to interpret the output in relation to my problem.

So, what exactly do you want? As you wrote, satisfying all four equations seems unreachable. And even more, I am quite sure that one can prove that the requested point does not exist using Mathematica built-ins:

ClearAll[x, y, n, points, eqns]
points = {{0, 0}, {20, 0}, {138/5, (24 Sqrt[6])/5}, {25, 10 Sqrt[6]}};
eqns = And @@ Table[Norm[{x, y} - point] == n, {point, points}];
Solve[
    eqns && And[Element[x, Reals], Element[y, Reals], Element[n, Integers]],
    {x, y, n}
]

These lines return an empty list which means that there's no solution with the required properties. Relaxing the constraint for n yields a unique solution:

Solve[
    eqns && And[Element[x, Reals], Element[y, Reals], Element[n, Reals]],
    {x, y, n}
]

The result is a list {{x -> 10, y -> 145/(4 Sqrt[6]), n -> 175/(4 Sqrt[6])}}. It does not sound probable that there's a second, "integer" solution to this problem which was not detected by the Solve function.

So, is it what you are looking for?

POSTED BY: Nikolay Shilov
Posted 3 years ago

Nikolay, Thank you, the proof that a point doesn't exist is all I need.

Edit.. I have had time to analyse your code and realised you were trying to find a point that was equidistant from the 4 given points, so perhaps I should have been more specific in my question, I am in fact trying to find a point that has all 4 distances integer and distinct, and if I was to be precise also distinct from the 6 pairwise distances given. Sorry for the confusion.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract