GROUPS:

Assigning variables from rules

Posted 11 days ago
|
2 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
|

I'm new to Mathematica. I have to say, it's making me crazy. I want to solve a system of four simultaneous equations in four variables and then have the numerical solutions applied to those variables from the rules so that, in this case,

m=127, b=7,f=14.5588, t=148.559:

solutions = 
Solve[m == 127 && b == 7 && f == 0.098*t && m + b + f == t, {m, b, f,
t}]

Then I want to set m, b, t, and f to the values in the rule assignment. I've tried every permutation I can think of of Part and ReplaceAll, but I either get an error or I get m=m, b=b, etc. It really shouldn't be that difficult, it seems like something users would want to do all the time. I see Stack Exchange with obscure code using @@@, and other stuff. Is there not just a simple way to solve a set of simultaneous equations and assign the results to the variables in the equations?

2 Replies

Hi 'Robert,

it is by no means clear what you want to do. Something like this?

m = 127;
b = 7;
solutions = Solve[{f == 0.098*t, m + b + f == t}, {t, f}]
{t, m} /. Flatten[solutions]

Robert,

As Hans points out, its not clear exactly what you want, However, if you are asking how to change rules into assignments, you could do:

solutions /. Rule -> Set;

In Hans' corrected example, this will make assignments for t and m. HOWEVER, I believe that changing the rules to assignments is bad coding practice in Mathematica. I generally like to make notebooks that can be rerun without clearing the global variables or quitting the kernel. Once t and m are defined, the earlier code that creates your equations will no longer work without a Clear["Global`*"] or killing the kernel.

It is preferable to use the results of solving as Hans showed by doing

newexpression /. solutions

to make the variable assignments locally.

regards,

Neil

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract