Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
1 Reply
|
2 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Calculating critical values of Durbin-Watson d statistic?

Posted 3 years ago

Recently a friend of mine complained to me, there seems to be no easy way to calculate critical values of Durbin-Watson d statistic in Mathematica. Though my knowledge for statistics is primary, this sounds like something easy to implement, or even actually built-in, so I started out by searching the keywords in the document, but ended up with discovering the following amusing paragraph in the tutorial LinearRegression/tutorial/LinearRegression:

The Durbin-Watson d statistic is used for testing the existence of a first-order autoregressive process. …Critical values for the statistic vary with sample size, the number of parameters in the model, and the desired significance. These values can be found in published tables.

I had never seen negative words like this in the document of Mathematica! Does there exist certain essential difficulty for calculating critical values of Durbin-Watson d statistic?

POSTED BY: xzczd  

This is unusual. It appears to be a quick rewrite of "Standard Packages for Mathematica 3": which has the same first sentence "The Durbin-Watson d statistic is used for testing the existence of a first-order autoregressive process" on page 437.

The implementation doesn't look too hard--it must be implemented under-the-hood? However, if the purpose of the statistic is to do regression, are the tables really necessary? And, in that case, why include the sentence?

POSTED BY: W. Craig Carter
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract