4 Replies
|
2 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

FindMinimum giving erroneous value?

Posted 2 years ago

Hello everyone,

I have an ODE (y3) for which I am trying to find the minimum that occurs after the first maximum. To do this, I am hoping to use FindMaximum to find the time (T) at which the first maximum occurs and subsequently use FindMinimum to find the minimum that occurs after time T. When I try this, however, I receive a value that is far from the true value (as indicated by a plot of the ODE).

Is there a way to fix this problem or should I resort to another method of finding the minimum--one not involving the function FindMinimum? I have seen other methods recommended on this forum but I am hoping to achieve this goal with FindMinimum if possible.

If FindMinimum is not the optimal approach to this problem, what is?

Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Alex

Attachments:
POSTED BY: Alex L
4 Replies
Posted 2 years ago

The problem is that for g = 0.093 there is no gradient sign change in the domain of the y3 solution so the tMax returned by FindMaximum is 2.2518*10^15 which is way outside the domain.

Plot[y3, {t, 0, 5000}]

enter image description here

POSTED BY: Rohit Namjoshi
Posted 2 years ago

Hi Alex,

From the documentation

FindMinimum[f,{x,Subscript[x, 0],Subscript[x, 1]}] searches for a local minimum in f using Subscript[x, 0] and Subscript[x, 1] as the first two values of x, avoiding the use of derivatives.

Not sure why you are using {t, tMax, K*100}, K*100 = 100,000 which is way too large. This gives the right answer

FindMinimum[y3, {t, tMax + 0.1}]
(* {17.9542, {t -> 56.8603}} *)

or

FindMinimum[y3, {t, tMax, tMax + 1}]

If the solution has high frequency oscillations it is possible that FindMinimum can miss the next minimum depending on the x0, x1 values used.

POSTED BY: Rohit Namjoshi
Posted 2 years ago

Ah I see now; I misread the documentation for FindMinimum. I thought x0 and x1 comprised the interval over which we wanted to find a minimum. Thank you for the help!

Alex

Posted 2 years ago

Your method works really nicely for values of g that are sufficiently large, but, for low values of g, I only acquire the minimum if I use {t, tMax, K*100} for NDSolve (as seen in the attached notebook). Is there a way around this problem? I am hoping to eventually plot YMin[g] function, so if I can get it to run for any value of g that would be ideal. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Alex

Attachments:
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract