Message Boards Message Boards

GROUPS:

NeumannValue and Dirichlet boundary condition at the same boundary?

Posted 5 months ago
|
1 Reply
|
0 Total Likes
|

I understand that NeumannValue and Dirichlet boundary conditions cannot be used at the same boundary for a PDE. However, if I have a system of partial differential equations can I then have NeumannValue for 1 variable and Dirichlet BC for the other at the same x position?

A realistic situation for the same would be a membrane that only allows one solute molecule to pass and is impermeable to the other solute.

Edit 1:

My system of equations looks like follows:

$$\frac{\partial \bar{c^{T}_E}}{\partial \bar{t}} = \frac{\partial^2 \bar{c^{T}_E}}{\partial \bar{x}^2} + \alpha \frac{\partial^2}{\partial \bar{x}^2}\Big(\frac{\bar{c^{T}_E} \bar{c_S}}{K_M/c_{S0} + \bar{c_S}}\Big) $$

$$\frac{\partial \bar{c_S}}{\partial \bar{t}} = \beta \frac{\partial^2 \bar{c_S}}{\partial \bar{x}^2} - k_2 \frac{c_{E0}}{c_{S0}}\frac{\bar{c^{T}_E} \bar{c_S}}{K_M/c_{S0} + \bar{c_S}}\frac{d^2}{D_E} $$

The boundary conditions that I want to impose is the following:

$$\frac{\partial c_E}{\partial x} = 0 \hspace{0.5 cm}x = 0; \hspace{0.5cm} \frac{\partial c_E}{\partial x} = 0 \hspace{0.5 cm}x = 1$$

$$c_S(t,x=0) = 1 ; \hspace{0.5cm} c_S(t,x=1) = 0$$

The initial conditions are as follows:

$$c_E(0,x) = 1; \hspace{0.5cm} c_S(0,x \leq 0.5) = 1 ; c_S(0,x>0) = 0$$

The code works fine when I impose no-flux conditions for $c_S$. However, when I use Dirichlet condition for $c_S$ the mass of $c_E$ is no longer conserved. Why is this issue happening and how does one get through this issue?

I have attached the notebook here.

Attachments:
POSTED BY: NS M
Answer

Welcome to Wolfram Community! Please make sure you know the rules: https://wolfr.am/READ-1ST
Your post is too vague. Please describe your subject extensively providing code and examples so it is clear what exactly you are looking for.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract