GROUPS:

Solve a third order differential equation

Posted 3 months ago
|
6 Replies
|
4 Total Likes
|

Hi everyone, I need help for this script I'm sharing with you. I think I wrote properly every part of the script, but it doesn't work. Just for your personal knowledge, this equation provides the vertical displacement of a parabolic beam. Thanks in advance for everyone how can help me!

6 Replies
Posted 3 months ago

Hi Lorenzo,

The WL is case-sensitive. DSolve, not Dsolve. There may be other issues, I have not tried running the code.

Thank you, unfortunately I don't get the solution anyway. I changed something in the script (basically I simplified the code) but the solution is in that strange form (integral and the function "K1"). How to solve it? EDIT: I attached a wrong file before, I uploaded the correct one.

Attachments:

To define a function you need an underscore after the variable. Also, the unknown function in the differential equation is u[x], not theta. This gives an answer:

Clear[x];
l = 0.5;
F = 13000/4;
f = 0.12;
Eel = 200000000000;
Iin = 0.05*(4*0.008)^3/4;
k[x_] = (2 f /l)/(1 + 4 (x/l)^2 (f/l)^2)^(3/2);
dsdx[x_] = Sqrt[(1 + 4 (x/l)^2 (f/l)^2)];
M[x_] = -F x - F l /2;
\[Theta][x_] = (u'[x]/dsdx[x] - (k'[x] u'[x])/(dsdx[x] k[x]))/k[x] + 
   k[x]/u[x];
NDSolve[{M[x] - Eel Iin \[Theta]'[x] == 0, u[0] == 1, u'[0] == 0},
 u[x], {x, 0, 10}]

Hi, thanks for the answer and thank you for the advices. Unfortunately the script is a little bit different, and the command NDSolve still does not give an answer. I add the correct differential equation (you missed some terms in theta)

Posted 3 months ago

There is an apostrophe in the definition for theta that is probably a typo:

enter image description here

Fix this and adjust the x-range in NDSolve

l = 0.5;
F = 13000/4;
f = 0.12;
Eel = 200000000000;
Iin = 0.05*(4*0.008)^3/4;
k[x_] = (2 f/l)/(1 + 4 (x/l)^2 (f/l)^2)^(3/2);
dsdx[x_] := Sqrt[(1 + 4 (x/l)^2 (f/l)^2)];
M[x_] := -F x - F l/2;
\[Theta][x_] := ((u'[x]/dsdx[x]) - (k'[x] u'[x])/(dsdx[x] k[x]))/k[x] + k[x] u[x];
solution = NDSolve[{M[x] - Eel Iin \[Theta]'[x] == 0, u[-l/2] == 0, u'[-l/2] == 0}, u[x], {x, -0.4, 0.5}]

enter image description here

Hi Hans, actually it is not a typo! That apostrophe indicates a derivative of the function ((u’[x])/dsdx), that is ((u’[x])/dsdx)‘. Maybe is it written in the wrong form?

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract