|
5 Replies
|
10 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Power Programming with Mathematica by David Wagner

Posted 11 years ago
I've heard a lot of positive things about the book: Power Programming with Mathematica by David Wagner. 
Because the book is about 18 years old, I wonder if it's for nostalgic reasons people want it or if it really contains unique information. I would be interested in hearing from someone with insight, who could tell me what makes the book so sought after.
POSTED BY: Math Lind
5 Replies
Posted 11 years ago
@Ilian, Isaac;
Thanks guys, your information makes my decision easy.
(I had a peek... and it looks promising).
I am working (for the second time) through the pdf copy over the past few weeks. Having reached Chapter 5, I can say that It is very engaging. I also noticed that I was able to come up with more elegant code when re-visiting an older exercise with new skills from a later chapter. The second run through the book this time is an attempt  to do every problem, however trivial it may have seemed the first time, and also to improve on earlier solutions. So far so good.
POSTED BY: Isaac Abraham
Personally I find the writing is very lucid, with some in-depth explanations that are rarely found in other books. Despite its age, much of the content is still quite relevant.

This is a short review by Leonid Shifrin which I think captures the essence nicely.
POSTED BY: Ilian Gachevski
A pdf copy of the book has been made freely available thanks to the efforts of the Mathematica StackExchange community.
POSTED BY: Ilian Gachevski
Posted 11 years ago
@Ilian Gachevski:
Thank you for the link.
Do you know what makes the book so famous?
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract