|
|
10 Replies
|
2 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Display PlotLabel as multi-line system of equations with left brace

Can Mathematica display a PlotLabel as a multi-line system of equations with a left brace? Not a two-column step-wise function.

POSTED BY: Jay Gourley
10 Replies

I have it installed as a palette in my system. I am glad it is useful for others too.

POSTED BY: Gianluca Gorni

Years ago I found this solution to typeset systems of equation within Mathematica:

Grid[{{PasteButton[
    DisplayForm[
     StyleBox[
      RowBox[{StyleBox["{", SpanMaxSize -> \[Infinity]], 
        GridBox[{{"\[Placeholder]"}, {"\[Placeholder]"}}, 
         ColumnAlignments -> Left]}], ShowAutoStyles -> False]]], 
   PasteButton[
    DisplayForm[
     StyleBox[
        GridBox[{{"\[Placeholder]"}, {"\[Placeholder]"}, {"\
\[Placeholder]"}}, ColumnAlignments -> Left]}], 
      ShowAutoStyles -> False]]], 
   PasteButton[
    DisplayForm[
     StyleBox[
        GridBox[{{"\[Placeholder]"}, {"\[Placeholder]"}, {"\
\[Placeholder]"}, {"\[Placeholder]"}}, ColumnAlignments -> Left]}], 
      ShowAutoStyles -> False]]]}}, Spacings -> 0]
POSTED BY: Gianluca Gorni

That's great, Gianluca. Thumbs up. It looks good in TraditionalForm[] too. When I get time, I'll put your code into a function. Maybe call it SystemOfEquations[{eq1,...,eq7}].

Posted 2 years ago

Hi Jay,

Can you please provide an example? What is "a two-column step-wise function"? For "a multi-line system of equations with a left brace" do you mean

f[x_] := Piecewise[{{Sin[x]/x, x < 0}, {1, x == 0}}, -x^2/100 + 1];
Plot[f[x], {x, -Pi, Pi}, PlotLabel -> f[x]]

enter image description here

You can provide any expression to PlotLabel, by default its TraditionalForm will be displayed.

POSTED BY: Rohit Namjoshi

Thanks, Rohit, for the quick reply. By "a multi-line system of equations with a left brace," I meant something like this:

By "a two-column step-wise function," I meant something like your example where the first column contains the functions and the next column contains their domains.

Posted 2 years ago

If you are familiar with LaTeX then you can use the MaTeX package for typesetting.

Needs["MaTeX`"];

label = MaTeX["\\left\\{
  \\begin{array}{@{}ll@{}}
    xy^2 = 5 \\\\
    x^3 - y = 10 \\\\
    y \\leq 0
  \\end{array}\\right.", Magnification -> 1.25]

an use PlotLabel -> label.

I did a search on MSE and found this, which is much easier if you have a list of expressions.

That works, Rohit. Thanks. I'm not fluent in LaTex, but I will only need it rarely. So unless someone has a better idea, this solves the problem.

Posted 2 years ago

Jay,

Did you take a look at the MSE link at the bottom of my answer? It has several different solutions to this problem.

Yes, Rohit. I did check the MSE link. It looks like it is exactly on point. So thanks for the link. I had trouble following it. Most of the back and fort was discussing editing changes. So I was never clear on what the code was. It seemed to deal mostly with the PieceWise[] function. But I was not able to eliminate the second column using that function and didn't find anything in the documentation that said that was possible.

Posted 2 years ago

Hi Jay,

Using the Format definition of bracket from that post

Format[bracket[obj_]] := Style[DisplayForm@RowBox[{"{", obj}], SpanMaxSize -> Infinity]

label = {Defer[xy^2 = 5], Defer[x^3 - y = 10], Defer[y <= 0]} // Column // bracket

or

label = HoldForm /@ Unevaluated@{xy^2 = 5, x^3 - y = 10, y <= 0} // Column // bracket

Then use it for PlotLabel

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract